Has anyone asked their docs if Slim Fast is safe while breastfeeding?

I love the powder shakes and it really helped me maintain a healthy weight. I drank them for breakfast and for snacks, not to replace other meals. Anyone know about its safety while breastfeeding though?

MamaChamp

Asked by MamaChamp at 2:06 AM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Slimfast is not a Diet Supplement, it's a Meal Replacement. Yes, it is safe to take while breastfeeding. However, make sure you are getting the proper caloric intake to maintain your milk supply. I drink a shake for breakfast every day, but I eat a regular lunch and dinner. Instead of a shake for breakfast and a shake for lunch.

Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 3:08 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• NO IT IS NOT SAFE TO USE WHILE BF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS A DIET SUPPEMENT AND SHOULD NOT BE USED WHILE BF! VERY UNSAFE FOR BABY
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Okay I actually went to slimfast site and got this info... I'm not interested in using it as a "diet" suppliment. I just really love the shakes and love that I got so many vitamins from them. Its a healthy snack to choose from. I'll copy and paste what I found in case anyone else wants to know.

http://www.slim-fast.com/support/atd/categories.aspx

A woman who is breast-feeding should first consult her physician before undertaking any weight-loss program.

Although not recommended as a weight-loss product during breast feeding, Slim·Fast can be used as part of a balanced and healthy diet. Slim·Fast shakes can be enjoyed as a snack, and as part of a meal or as a dessert or treat. For your own good health, and to maximize the nutritional content of your breast milk, your diet should be well-balanced and include protein, vitamins and minerals. Slim·Fast shakes contain protein, calcium and fiber and are fortified with
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:02 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• vitamins and minerals. Use Slim·Fast products to complement well-balanced meals and other healthy snacks, for a well-balanced diet.
    Question: I am currently Breast-Feeding. Are the Slim·Fast Meals or Snacks harmful to my baby ?
    Answer:

Slim·Fast products can be used safely while nursing. There are no drugs, appetite suppressants or stimulants that can affect your breast milk composition. However, it is not generally recommended that nursing mothers restrict their caloric intake, as you actually need more calories while nursing.The American Dietetic Association suggests you select one additional serving from each area of the Food Guide Pyramid while nursing to get an additional 500 calories a day. Slim·Fast products can make an excellent selection from the dairy group.

GREAT TO KNOW
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:03 AM on Feb. 15, 2009