Choosing a Preschool

What are the most important things to you when picking a preschool for your child?

MrsMorrell

Asked by MrsMorrell at 10:41 AM on Feb. 20, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Cleanliness. A big variety of activities, not just the same old boring toys. Nutritious food. Small class sizes.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:48 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Cleanliness, professionalism of the staff & their ability to deal. I looked for one that didn't over stress academics as it's really just for guided socialization and an introduction to school like routines. Remember... no one was ever rejected from Harvard b/c of the preschool they did or didn't go to!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Cleanliness for sure! I also checked for smaller class sizes, I didn't want my child getting lost in the shuffle.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 10:51 AM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Go & visit local Preschools unannounced while the school is in session. Ask for a tour. Go to a few & you will get good vibes & bad vibes. Small classes are best. Close to home is recommended. GL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:23 AM on Feb. 20, 2013

• I found Montessori preschools to be really great as they have an individual approach to each kid. Has seen many kids bloom in the Montessori setting, including my son. I also had a friend's son who had trouble coping with a regular preschool but really grew leaps and bounds in a Montessori one. Hope this helps.
    iheartlanden

Answer by iheartlanden at 12:58 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• "Go & visit local Preschools unannounced while the school is in session. Ask for a tour."

GREAT idea.... but know that you might have to comeback for the tour as that would take staff away from the kids. Don't be offended if they look at you suspiciously... as you are a stranger showing up unannounced. At my kids preschool you have to be buzzed in... if you are not a recognizable parent of a current student (or expected with proper ID) you don't get in, they will deal with you via intercom. Just an FYI! ;o)
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:20 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Yeah, you'd never get into my DD's school unannounced.

I found my dd's school by chatting with friends with kids. I spoke at length with the head teacher and liked her very much. The school itself is simple and straight forward. I feel that this particular school's strength lies with the personality of the staff and the willingness to let the kids explore through activity mixed with small amounts of guided group activities. It's co-op, so i have a lot of access to the class when in session, so I know this all first hand now that she is attending, which is comforting.

I did do a lot of research into different philosophies mainly Waldorf and Montessori and found them to not what we were looking for, but I certainly can see value to both methods of teaching.

tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 7:55 PM on Feb. 21, 2013