One in 5 Women on antidepressants in the US!

I saw this on CNN this morning. I'm very surprised by this. Mothers say that it helps them be a better Parent but Dr.'s worry since it's addictive. Once you start on antidepressants to help cope how are you ever able to cope without them? In certain instances I believe they are necessary of course but 1 in 5 Women?? Are you surprised by this statistic?

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 11:16 AM on Feb. 20, 2013 in Health

• I have been on antidepressants for a long time.> I have dealt with anxiety/panic disorder on and off my whole life. I would much rather not need the medication however, it has given me my life back.. I am currently dealing with a bout of anxiety and went back up on my meds however this time and its so important I will continue the therapy and coping mechinisms. If I had a heart condition I would take medication. Anxiety and depression can really really lower your quality of life and antidepressants give people their life back. I do beleive in antidepressants, its not a perfect world however I think the best treatment is a combination of therapy and medication!!
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 2:02 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• I'm in good company, I guess. I've battled with lifelong depression, and I know I don't do well off antdepressants, so I choose to stay on them. The exception is when I got pregnant. I stopped taking all medications, and I was so delighted to be having a baby, the depression seemed to lift. When I was nursing, it was more of a struggle. But I stayed off till my baby was done with breastmilk. Life did get much easier when I went back on medication. For some people, it's just a chronic condition, like high blood pressure or diabetes.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:22 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• not surprised, but sadden. most of the ppl who are on anti-depressants wouldnt need them if they would just go to an actual licensed therapist (instead of their prescription happy regular Dr) and talk thru their issues & learn some ways to deal with the stresses of life. but thats too hard & takes too much time...so we pump ourselves full of pills & think we're getting an easy fix. well, easy fixes always turn out fine right...theres no way the easy fix will backfire. just push those issues down deeper and live in the fake world your Prozac & Xanax gives you. sorry this subject pisses me off...can ya tell haha

dont get me wrong, some ppl truly need anti-depressants, and all the therapy in the world is not going to help their chemical imbalance. but yeah 1 in 5 women do not NEED anti-depressants, they want them.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:32 AM on Feb. 20, 2013

• I am surprised by that statistic. I guess that means that its probable some of the women I know are on them. I would have no idea. 20% of women is a lot. I have always thought that antidepressants were supposed to be a temporary thing to help individuals with the ability to work their way out of depression. Not taking them indefinitely.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:32 AM on Feb. 20, 2013

• It's not surprising to me. Taking a pill is a much quicker "fix" than actually spending the time and effort it takes to discover why people are depressed. This is another one of those areas that has changed exponentially during my lifetime. When I was a young woman, depression was unheard of. Every now and then, there would be a report of what was then called a "nervous breakdown." Even that was extremely rare.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:49 AM on Feb. 20, 2013

• I've been on them many times. I took myself off if them over the summer and haven't felt the need. I had to decide whether I wanted to live a life of anhedonia while on them or see how I did without them. The withdrawals were hard and I'm happy to say I haven't had a depressive episode since 2010. I never wanted them but I wanted to see what living was like instead of existing. I have been diagnose with MDD, GAD, mild PTSD and have a 30% disability rating from the VA. I have learned triggers and coping mechanisms.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:51 AM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Not surprised , and when doctor tried to up the dose i said enough. Does not really help and the side effects in the long run will be very bad. Been off for years. The worse is you can be depressed while taking them, before and after so I see no use for them and the damage they can do I wish I had known that before hand.
    sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 12:03 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• And this is why my business does so well. Most women on anti depressants lose their sex drive, have difficulty reaching orgasm, etc.
    All my lotions and potions fix them right up! :) Even broken clitorii!!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:04 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• i AM surprised
    that is a huge %

i knew in 1950's moms were placed on drugs ( what was is ? - forget)
    did not know this, never would have thought
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:40 AM on Feb. 20, 2013

• I'm not surprised. I know lots of people who take them. However I disagree that you can't go off them. I have been on Prozac, Wellbutrin and Zoloft at different times (first time when I was going to marital counseling, she suggested it). Each time I took them for about 6 months and have been able to quit with no problems.

Answer by missanc at 11:40 AM on Feb. 20, 2013