Lice in the winter???

I thought lice didn't like the cold, and couldn't survive?
Found lice eggs in DD's hair last night since her school is notorious for passing it around. I'm so upset...two weeks of OCD hell has started. What can I do to keep this from happening again? Are there any preventative shampoos out there? My MIL swears by "Prell" shampoo....anyone heard of it?
Thanks All! xo

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Feb. 20, 2013 in

• I was actually told they are seen more in the winter because everyone is in close quarters more and wearing more coats and hats and tossing them around with each others. No help with the prevention though other than to not pile up your coats and hats etc when at child functions.
    Anonymous

• I know that if you add tea tree oil into the conditioner-NOT the shampoo, it will help keep lice away, we just had a salon open up here that only deals with lice, you might google lice prevention shampoos and see what you get.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 1:19 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Don't let your child share coats, hats, combs, hair assecories, etc with friends.

I've also heard about the tea tree oil and it works wonders.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:12 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Lice can be unwelcome guests any time, and in the winter kids wear more hats and tend to share them.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:24 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• I'm so sorry, it's such a nightmare. We really rely on the metal comb and then use the cetaphil treatment on the kids if they bring it home but I about KILL myself with the work. I dry everything twice a day (packs, towels, coats, clothes, stuffies) and vacuum daily.
    Prevention? We've used tea tree oil and Fairy Tales but we've gotten lice using both. Our latest approach (last two years) is to comb the kids every Friday with the metal comb just to be sure. The sooner you catch on to the fact that you have lice, the quicker you can eradicate it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:52 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• head and shoulders.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:58 PM on Mar. 16, 2013