Cleaning/Organizing Tips- Please add any and all you have!

I will say- don't leave a room without taking an item with you that needs to go there.

Set a timer and have a task.

Write a list.

Storage containers are your friend. You don't have to buy them either- they come with packaging of things you are already buying.

Organize cords in empty toilet paper rolls and label with a sharpie then set in a box.

Use bread clips to close freezer packages.

Save cereal plastic bags and use them to store leftovers or whatever- a use will pop up and they are super sturdy.

In the time it takes to complain about something being dirty/messy- you could have cleaned it.

More please!

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 2:55 PM on Feb. 20, 2013 in Home & Garden

• The only one I have at the moment is, put a plastic clothes basket in the back of your car. As you shop, put all your bags in the basket. When you get home, all you have to do is carry in the basket!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:58 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• All those sound great but none of them work with my kids. My issue is that one child is destructive, literally, I walk out of the room and he takes pictures off walls, breaks things,tips the trash over. Family tells me, your not watching him closely enough, your letting him get away with too much, you need to be in the same room with him all the time. Well my daughter needs almost total care all the time even though she is seven. She wears diapers, need help eating, dressing, toileting etc. I can drag my son around with me when I take care of my daughter but he runs off when I'm in the middle of cleaning her and stuff so I don't know. I'm trying to get an aide to help me out. Waiting to hear back on that. Pretty much I wait till they are in bed or school and just accept the fact that my house is trashed nearly everyday and everyone that stops by will be yelling at me for it.
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 3:02 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• You are doing great! Great ideas too! You could make this a business for yourself.

I'll add some. I use something that I will be throwing into the laundry basket (T-shirt for example) to rub along the floor in my bathroom with my foot to pick up loose hair & fuzzes.

Socks make great dusters on your hand.

Every week I pick one extra thing to do besides regular cleaning like clean a drawer or wash windows.

I use an old candle to rub on the track of my sliding glass door so it slides easily. I'll try & think of more.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:03 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Oh, I use grocery bags as garbage bags & to throw away poopy diapers! LOL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:04 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• If you use a Swiffer, you can take the wipe off when you are done with your floor and clean another area of the house. Just rinse it out and viola! You can wipe down a whole foyer or even base boards.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:05 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Put a small basket at the bottom of the stairs. When you find something that needs to go up, place it in the basket. Then you're more likely to get things back up there next time you go.

I love your tips, by the way. I'll be using many of them.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:06 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Oh, my mom told me this. Amish houses are big but easy to keep clean because they are so empty. Anything that is not useful or used on a daily basis, my mom told me to get rid of or put in storage, at least till the kids are older. Nick-nacs and things are just more junk to break and play with. The less stuff I have sitting around, the easier it will be to keep things clean. This actually does help, I just started packing up stuff and putting it in the basement. My house looks bare but while my kids are little it makes it easier to keep clean. When they are older maybe I decorate and have nice things around, not so much right now though.
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 3:08 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Limit the number of tables and other flat surfaces in your home because they will just turn into clutter catchers.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:09 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• I used plastic grocery bags as the garbage in my house for like 8 years- until the last months of my second pregnancy where I couldn't bend over to throw things away. I bought a garbage can at walmart.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 3:09 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• I literally have cursed at a drawer in my house for 6 months- when I finally cleaned it out it took less than 10 minutes. I was appalled at myself!
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Feb. 20, 2013