How can I get my 3 year old son to stop following me everywhere???

He is a good kid, pretty independent and extremely smart! Always been a high intensity child, overly active, very curious and relentless. Over the past few months he won't leave my side for more than 5 minutes at a time (no exaggeration). He has a 21 month old brother a great Dad. I work a couple days a week and he spends time away from me at Grandma's or his Aunts. Please please, for my sanity someone give me some ideas on what may be going on here???

Nicreynolds

Asked by Nicreynolds at 2:30 AM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• AHHH Yes you have what i refer to as a walking hemmroid! one of my sons and now my daughter both have done this to me you go to step back and EEEKKK its a kid! I have said please stop following me, don't stand right behind me i don't want to step on you, i have tried everything and nothing works, good news is they do outgrow this stage, some kids just need to be with you right with you , right up your rear all the time for awhile. I have had daycare kids do the same thing to me, they are just feeling a need for extra attention or they want to be around you, the best thing i did find was just taking a few minutes to say hey whats up, and redirect them so i could get things done.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:40 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• He will grow out of this. I have 4 year old twins who follow me around. One of my twins gets upset if I lock the bathroom door. geeze. I tell my boys mommy needs some quiet time, turn on a movie for them and you go relax in another room for a while. It's annoying now but on day you will look back with a smile.
    mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 2:41 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• He is just wanting your attention and wanting to be near you. Enjoy it, it sounds like you have a lot of time away from him already. These annoying moments you'll miss one day and wish he was around to be your shadow. This is the age when boys have seperation anxiety and just needs Mommy. When he reaches a certain age, he'll not even want you to kiss him and you'll wish he was shadowing you again! He'll outgrow it, this too shall pass.
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 1:16 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• enjoy it! In a couple of years he wont want anything to do with you
    MommyBrunella

Answer by MommyBrunella at 6:29 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• It is obvious that he needs more attention from you and is feeling some insecurity. Make an effort to spend a lot of time with him doing things he enjoys. Children know when we are just too busy for them and it takes its toll on them. They will seek your attention, even if it's negative attention, at least they are getting attention from you. Other things can wait, as the attention you give your child can not be made up for later.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 11:33 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Sounds like he wants personal time with you. When you are cooking a meal, "I am cooking stay out of the kitchen." But when you are done have him get the 99 cent place matts from walmart. Get differant charactors to pick from. Set the table together with the plastic wear you got last summer all differant colors and have him pick the color he wants you two to have...ETC... He can help and have time with you, when you are ready. Not right now but when I am done you get my full attention for a few minutes to help out.
    motherabc

Answer by motherabc at 10:59 AM on Feb. 26, 2009