Diabetics need help

So recently I've been diagnosed Diabetic and my doctor put me on a strict 1800 calorie diet. I was just wondering well the diet is low carb,lots of low carb vegetables,low fat dairy products,some meat and lots of wheat bread!I was wondering if the metformin gets your blood sugar down is it really necessary to eat like this.The menu is low fat because they say fat interferes with blood sugar control.I can't really afford to eat different foods everyday.I'm almost ready to give up on this diet.So my main question is metformin is getting my blood sugar down do I have to eat like a bird?

prayernow

Asked by prayernow at 4:54 PM on Feb. 20, 2013 in Health

• if the metformin gets your blood sugar down is it really necessary to eat like this.

YES!! Until your blood sugar is WELL under control!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:00 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Yes it is necessary but only if you want to live a long and happy life.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:03 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Eat like a bird? When I had gestational diabetes they had me eating 3 meals and 2-3 snacks/day to keep my sugars steady. I'm assuming its a similar diet. I felt like I was eating all the time! It's just a normal healthy diet.

Answer by missanc at 5:04 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• points

PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 5:09 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• If you are not pregnant then the point is to get the weight down, then at some point you will not need the med.

Natual ways to do so http://www.lifescript.com/health/centers/diabetes/articles/10_tips_to_lower_blood_sugar_naturally.aspx  and  http://www.squidoo.com/balancebloodsugar

sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 5:27 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• If they put you on a diet plan like that. You must be preity over weight. The metformin by itself is not going to work. A complete diet change is necessary low carb, no sugary food  is the key.

Answer by louise2 at 5:36 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Do you want to start injecting yourself with insulin? If you don't follow the diet, you will more than likely keep upping your medication until that no longer works, then you will have to start insulin. Diet changes, exercise, and weight loss are the best things you can do to control this disease. With type 2 diabetes, unlike type 1, you don't have to be at the mercy of medication to help regulate your blood sugar. You can do most of that yourself.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:41 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• 1800 calories is good amount of food. Think of this as not a diet but a life style change. Oral meds alone will not keep you blood sugars at normal levels. If you continue to eat your normal diet your levels will get higher and your body will become more insulin resistant and you will then have to add insulin to your daily routine.

Please don't think this is a simple "sugar" problem because it is not and can cost you a limb, eye sight and kidneys just to name a few.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:44 PM on Feb. 20, 2013