Grumpy at the B&N customer service man ( plus 2 Q's )

went to Barns&Noble to buy a book I had seen online for a gift. Book is $10 more in the store. Went to customer service to ask them how long shipping takes. I say 'Excuse me but this book is cheaper online so I was wond---' the guy cuts me off to interject that they do not match their own online prices and proceeds to tell me how it cost more to run a store and you have to pay shipping (3.99) online that they already paid to get it to the store( yadda yaddda yadda )For some reason this just has me really irritated! Like I wasn't already frustrated I may have to pay more for the book by have the audacity to shop for it *in* the store but then I get cut off mid question as that he could ASSume what I was going to say. ::sigh:: Nice. Can't wait to shop there again...

Questions:
Would this experience have bugged you and made you imagine yourself stick your tongue out at the guy?

WHY do stores charge SO MUCH more int he store? Do they not want people to shop in store? lol.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 5:04 PM on Feb. 20, 2013 in Shopping

• Wow. That's unusual. He must be having a really shitty day. Did you call back and talk to the manager?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:06 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• No- I'm gonna let it go. I have never had a bad experience here before so we will see what happens. However I will be moving my business online since apparently that is way hella-lotta cheaper even AFTER shipping. lol.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 5:08 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• maybe he gets asked ALL the time why books are more IN the store and he's having one of those days...

wouldn't have really bugged me. As for why so much more in the store? I have no idea
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:10 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• I would speak to the manager not necessarily about the price but about the employee.
    Yes stores do have a larger overhead than a wearhouse type of thing (online). Yes you pay postage but some places will give you postage free if your order is over so much and/ or you are a member.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:11 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Grumpy customer service always bugs me, even if what the person says is true.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:11 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• I like online shopping better too. Maybe he'll lose his job if everyone starts shopping online. He forgot that his reactions are why.....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:17 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• he should have listened to you speak. he probably answers that question a lot and was annoyed with something else.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:30 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Get a kindle!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:05 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Well, it's rude to interrupt someone when they are speaking, so that would have annoyed me.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 7:19 PM on Feb. 20, 2013