How old was your kid the first time they went to a friend's b-day party?

I'll be honest I've never really felt comfortable taking my kids to other people's (non-family) houses and the only time my oldest dd went to a friend's b-day party it was at a local pizza place and we only left her there for a couple hours. PLUS I actually knew the mom because our dd's were in the same class for 3 years in a row. Now my younger dd (almost 6yo) got invited to a friend's b-day party and i'm not sure if I want to let her go :-/ I have MET the mom at one of the class parties and dd says this girl is her BEST FRIEND (she also says every other girl in her class is her best friend at one point or another @@) but the party sounds like it will be at their house which is kinda out of town and might be hard to find... its only for 2 hrs on Sunday though so idk... ugh i hate making decisions like this!

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 5:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• 3, but we didn't leave him there, we hung around. I've never seen one around here where the parents leave and come back, but parties at houses is pretty rare anymore. Most are at the bowling alley or roller rink.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:51 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Ds started going to parties at 5 in Kindergarten however they were at Putt-putt places or Bounce places... not in homes. His first 'in a home' party will be this coming Saturday. He is 8 and in 3rd grade- though to be honest this is his first party invite since Kinder... We were so excited for him that we would have let him go just about anywhere. lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:51 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• 5, but we stayed there.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:56 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• She was four. It was last fall.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:01 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• 1
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:26 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Let the kid live a little. Don't force your hangups on her!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 6:59 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• not yet...she's 4. unless you count a co-worker's kid's party...they only invited us b/c they wanted more presents...then 2, but we stayed around.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:02 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• She was 2. She was invited to the 2nd birthday party of a son of a friend of mine, who she was friends with.

After that, she was 3...went to a couple parties at 3. Even more at 4...even more at 5...even more at 6.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:15 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• 4 and he's been to 3 of them already (he's still 4). I never dropped him off, I always stayed. None of them were at anybody's house. Unless it was close friends or family I will not be dropping my son off at a birthday party at someone's house or elsewhere until he's maybe 8.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 7:24 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• She had just turned 3. She attended a friend's 3rd birthday party a month later.
    That was also the first year SHE had a birthday party (sometimes/usually we just celebrate at home with a cake & special dinner.)

Are you sure that a drop-off is even expected? Especially if it is out of the way/outside of town and 2 hours long. Sometimes it is a mix, but lots of the parties my daughter has attended with/for school-aged kids have consisted of parents hanging out during the party. Particularly when it involves a drive (we live near the border of 2 states & some families in this group of friends can be 20-30 minutes apart. We live 20 minutes outside of town.) My husband has done a drop-off & has taken care of errands during parties, then has returned to pick up our daughter, but other parents who had driven over from the other state just stayed, having pizza & cake while the kids played together. Drop-off was OK but not "expected."
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:48 PM on Feb. 21, 2013