Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

The least expensive schools

My granddaughter has been diagnosed with Apraxia (Speech) problem and she needs to attend a school that I can afford . Do you have any feedback on education tips.

Answer Question

Asked by Babycakes490 at 5:46 PM on Feb. 20, 2013 in General Parenting

Level 5 (90 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Is it something that can be helped (fixed?) with speech therapy? If so, any public school should have everything you need right there at school.

    My daughter (5) is on an IEP for speech therapy to help her. I don't know what the formal diagnosis is, if there is one, but she gets all the help she needs at school. She substitutes an easier sound for a harder one (dehduh instead of sweatshirt), she drops the last part of some words, she can't easily pronounce the more guttural consonants, and there was one more that I can never remember.

    She goes to speech therapy 4 days a week for 15 minutes each time. It's really helped her out. She is a LOT more understandable now that when school started last September.

    Answer by Rosehawk at 5:53 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

  • How old is she? You can go through Early Intervention in your state if she's under 3 years old, and Early Childhood if she's over 3 years. There are no fees because she would receive services through the public schools.

    Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:55 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

  • Yep - public schools. They do have limited funds so sometimes you have to fight to increase speech time, but they will provide the services for free as part of school.

    Answer by missanc at 6:18 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

  • I dont im sorry but I wish you both the very best of luck!

    Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 8:11 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

  • frogdawg, don't be condescending.
    Both of my kids were speech kids from 18 months on. Going through Early Intervention and Early Childhood is for speech services (or other therapies, like occupational therapy and developmental therapy, both of which my oldest son was in, also through EI and EC). Many of the younger speech kids who come into the (public) school for therapy aren't even in classes at the school. It's a way to get services, regardless of where you send your kid to school, either because she can't afford it or as a supplement to private speech. We've dealt with speech services in two states, through both public school systems, through the speech department at NIU, and through private speech therapists in Nevada. The ones in the school district are just as good and have the same training as the others we have dealt with.

    Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:32 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

  • how old is she?

    Answer by san78 at 1:31 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

  • Contact 211 or the Dept of Ed in your state. Good luck.

    Answer by booklover545 at 7:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.