i have been diagnosed with bipolarism and was curious????

so i have been told by a therepst(physco) and i was told to get on meds i never followed through and these are how im feeling i have a fear of therepists locking me away..... but everyday i feel like mad,confused ,happy,sad,lonley ,irritated my hubby and i fight everyday i feel like im a big ball of nothing and its upsetting ..if anyone has anyinfo on bi-ploarism please help me figure out whats going on ..if you can.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 AM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Health

• http://www.cafemom.com/answers/132128/Can_a_bipolar_person_live_function_properly_without_medication

This is a post from an hour or 2 ago. You will find it very helpful. Good luck!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:13 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• You have to go along time to be properly diagnosed. It could be alot of things going on. It is important to go to therapy and keep a diary everyday or hour how you feel and why. After having a baby, not only postpardom but delayed memorys start coming out. You always have the feeling something is not right with you anyway and then when you remember the stuff ,its to much to handle. This is why you put it away undealth with in the first place or just did't know why. Like if you were a child "you did't understand what was going on and what was normal" then when you remember in adulthood, it has to be dealth with coming from the child within "then" to Adult "now". The mental hosp. are nice. All the real sick are in homes now! Shocktreatments are good!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:53 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• www.Nami.org www.bipolar.com (I believe com - may be org) Generally as an adult you won't see that huge of a shift in moods on a daily basis. That would be more linked to choice/ other influences. Generally rapid mood swings are seen in children for numerous reasons. As adults - it's usually more consistent for longer periods of time. You would also need to see a psychiatrist in order to be properly diagnosed & not a psychologist. Psychologist's function is counseling. Psychiatrist has doctrate. Unless you are a danger to self or others, they"re not going to commit you without your consent. Mental hospitals are not "nice" as one poster put. They"re better than they used to be & you can get quality care - but should also remember there are others on the unit with various types of issues better or worse. I have had to place my son 7 times - although it was a hard thing to do - it was what needed to be done at that time
    awnryprincess

Answer by awnryprincess at 6:27 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I would highly suggest seeing a psychiatrist if you feel this may be the issue. I'd ask how long this has been going on for. It doesn't sound like very long, so it is more likely probably depression or some other factor. There are many other mental disorders that share common features of bipolar disorder so it is very important to seek someone trained. You've not really given enough information to say if this is the cause or not. What other behaviors do you exhibit would be another question I'd ask. If you aren't going to get on meds regardless - then save your money & time. Bipolar is a very difficult disorder & can be very destructive if not treated appropriately. However, meds are not the magic cure - counseling & your own behavior modifications should be added in also. Both my son & I are diagnosed bipolar. He's Severe Bipolar/ADHD & without all the above - he couldn't function in life. Good luck
    awnryprincess

Answer by awnryprincess at 6:35 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I was dx bi polar in 2001, and have been off medication since 2006. It can be done, but it's one hell of a ride. The meds were actually doing very little good for me. I would advise you to try them first at least.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:42 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I was dx bipolar when I was 15, was on medication til 18, and i'm 22 now. As awnryprincess stated, most of the time you don't have the crazy mood swings as an adult, but if you get dxed with rapid cycle bi-polar like me, you could end up manic in the morning and deprssed in the after noon. It all depends on the person.

Come join us at "All Walks of Life, Women with Bipolar". www.cafemom.com/groups/allwomenofbp. It's a great supportive group filled with women with a similar dx.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 8:15 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Bi-Polar used to be called manic-depression it means your mood swing from happy to sad and from very active to very down some times cycling several times a day. It depends on the type of bi polar you have. Since you have access to a computer look it up on google. You can usually go to a mental health provider in your community for pamphlets also.
    AVONJAN

Answer by AVONJAN at 8:26 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I was dx'd with bipolar by a shrink on my first visit. He gave me meds and I took them I felt awful on them and told him so he adjusted the dosage. It went on for a few years till I finally said screw it and went off everything on my own and never went back to him. I waited a few years and went on zoloft. I just had anxiety/depression issues and have been fine ever since. The meds he had me on were making me worse. Get more than one opinion before hand doctors don't always get it right on the first try. Sometimes they are too quick to jump to a dx and sometimes it takes 10 years to be diagnosed with bipolar. Be well informed on the condition and maybe even keep a mood diary so you can keep track of your moods. Take a proactive stand on your health care to get the best result.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:52 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• i am 26 and have the crazy mood swings. i was diagnosed at 20 and 22. you NEED to take your meds. also get a second opinion....i got 3.
    Mama2Joshy

Answer by Mama2Joshy at 9:11 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Thyroid problems, hormone imbalance, not taking care of yourself through sleep, diet, exercise, and relaxation, there are so many things, talk to your doctor, get bllod testing, take some time to take care of yourself
    MsMESSx2

Answer by MsMESSx2 at 2:56 PM on Feb. 15, 2009