HELP PLEASE!!

Ok its 3 am and my daughter woke up about a half hour ago with what sounds like pretty bad chest congesstion. How serious could this be? She is 14 months old and really this is the first time she has ever sounded like this so I am panicing and have no idea what to do. And Drs. is closed til tuesday because of presidents day. I am just nervous, she sounds pretty bad. Anyone that knows of anything I could do please get back to me asap. Also do you think I should take her to the hospital or something since the Drs is not open?

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 3:18 AM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Signs that she is not getting enough oxygen are heavy weezing, blue lips and finger nails. If it were me, I would turn on the humidifier or start a steamy shower and sit in there with her. I would make sure that she doesn't lay flat and that her head is propped up. I would sleep with her in my arms in the recliner....this is just me. Slather vapo-rub on the bottom of her feet. I would also give her bennadryl....it's about the only thing that you can give her...probably 1 tsp or .5 tsp. That will help dry her up. Good luck....she'll be okay.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 3:29 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I'd take her in if you have any question at all. Sometimes a mother knows best.
    If you're wrong, then you are only out your co-pay.
    mouseybrown

Answer by mouseybrown at 3:59 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• ok does she have a cough? like a bark? My daughter had croup several weeks ago and she woke up in the middle of the night having trouble breathing... She cleared up later in the day but it got worse at night...

So I took her to the e.r and the doc says that when they sleep to position them in a almost upright position, that way the swelling will go down. and to also try going in the bathroom and turn on the shower full heat and sit there with her letting the steam help her breathe. he said you could also use a humidifer..

Why don't you try that till you can get a doctor? When we went to the e.r they gave her some treatments where she breathes in the mist and amoxilcyllan and steroids... If you don't want to try that take her to the e.r!

Adja70

Answer by Adja70 at 5:01 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• She's going to be ok. Croup is going around, my son just had it and so did my friends kids and they were no where around each other. It sounds horrible but you just have to let it run its course. She's going to sound like a seal, but hopefully she'll only have one bad night of conjestion. Just hold her on your chest while she sleeps. Take her in the bathroom and steam it up for 5-10 min. (don't forget to dress her down). With the croup, they even recommend taking kids out side for the cold fresh air for about 5min. Find another pediatricians office that is open and ask them questions. At my pediatricians office there is always a nurse available to answer questions for free. There should be an on call nurse some where. But she is fine. She'll sound bad at night, first thing in the morning and during the day it will get better. Unless she is running a fever you pediatricians office is going to tell you to let it run its course
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• cont. and keep an eye as far as breathing problems. At night my son would gasp for air and then cough really deep. Luckily that only lasted one night. He sounded bad enough that I contemplated take him into to the emergency room at 3am, but I waited it out with him on my chest and in the morning he was better. Hope she gets better and this only lasts throughout the night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Feb. 15, 2009