What really is her problem?

My daughter is 17 and doesn't have her license. She has gone thru drivers ed but doesn't have the driving hours needed. I have taken her a few times but she normally has an excuse on why she can't drive. It would be nice to have another driver in the house and even better if she had her own car so she could take herself to school and work. She told someone that when she drives, it brings back bad memories. What can I do to push her into getting her license?

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 9:21 PM on Feb. 20, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• My youngest was like that too. For some reason, she just wasn't interested. I guess when it came to riding the bus or driving to school, she finally opted to get her license. LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:23 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Don't push. Have her talk to someone. If you push you could create some real problems. She is saying that it brings back bad memories...was she in an accident?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:23 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Have you talked to her about why she is afraid to drive? Was she in a bad accident or did she lose someone in an accident? Once you find out why she is afraid to drive you can work on a way to help her get over her fear of driving.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 9:23 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Don't push her... it will back fire. Instead get to the root of her anxiety!!
    I have a 19 yr old cousin that still won't drive... he says he's to afraid of all the other idiots on the road.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:28 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• ...not push her. She will drive when she's ready.
    Do you really want to push her into it and make her drive if it stresses her out or freaks her out?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:41 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• I did not want to get my license. I got it at 20 so I could move in with My now DH. Driving made me nervous so I needed the right motivation. Give her time- she will get there when she gets there.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:26 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• it brings back bad memories

what happened?
    Because I am nosy like that :)
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:36 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Like all above do not push her, she is just not ready .I remember when I learn how to drive , it was a long before I was comfortable driving.
    sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 9:57 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• ASK HER.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:59 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Sounds like she needs to get over some issues and thet sounds like counseling to me,
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:13 PM on Feb. 20, 2013