how soon until i can get a ultrasound?

Ashley H.

Asked by Ashley H. at 2:16 AM on Feb. 21, 2013 in Pregnancy

• It would help if you tell us how far along you are..but most of the time its about 8 weeks in if you want a somewhat clear image. Week 18 though the 26th week you maybe able to learn if its a boy or girl.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:30 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

• I had one at the end of the first trimester to establish how far along I was, and one about two months later, at which I found out the gender of my baby. If you know how far along you are, the early one might not be done.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:46 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

• With my most recent baby I had one at 8 weeks and more than I can count after that, but that's because I was high risk and they needed to check on baby's heart.

Answer by missanc at 5:45 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

• I think the standard is at 20 wks but it depends on the dr. My doc does ultrasounds himself rather than using a tec so he did ultrasounds on me at 8 wks, 20 wks, 34, and 37 wks.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 8:29 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

• I had one at around 8 weeks, one at 15, and one at 20 with three of my 4. With my first, though, I had a midwife, and she was the type to be least invasive as possible, so we just did one at around 8 weeks, then again at 20. With my 4th, I had a lot of cramps , so of course I had more than your standard, including a couple of hospital visits. Turned out to be an ovarian cyst, and boy do those things hurt!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:54 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Ultrasounds are NOT invasive. They are a useful tool for many physicians.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

• First off ultrasounds are not without side effects to both mom and baby so please do some research before rushing to get lots of them. Now to your actual question. All doctors are different and all pregnancies are different but the standard is if you have regular cycles and know when your last menstrual period is they only do one ultrasound around 20 weeks. If you do not know your LMP or have irregular cycles then they may do one around 8 weeks to get a due date. If you are having issues at any point they may want to do more.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:28 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

• She probably just peed on the stick this morning.
    Welcome to CM. You need to provide info, to get info.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:29 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Maybe never-- Do you want one?

(Lots of people want to avoid exposure.)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:44 AM on Feb. 22, 2013

• how far gone are you?
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:54 PM on Feb. 23, 2013