Are your kids in scouts? What time and how often do they have meetings?

I just signed my 5 years old up for scouts. The meetings are every Tuesday and Thursday from 7:30 to 8:30. IMO, that's too late for a school night. Her bedtime is 8:00.

What time and how often does your troop meet?

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 8:42 AM on Feb. 21, 2013 in General Parenting

• That does sound really late for a school night for a 5 year old. Usually the leader of the group gets to choose what time works best for her, as she is a volunteer. DS is in scouts and when they meet as a den it's usually on Sunday afternoon. Pack meetings are one Monday a month from 7-8.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:28 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

• DD's troop meets every other Friday from 6-8pm. Personally I feel that is too long and too late for a meeting. By the end of it, DD is getting very cranky because she's tired (her bedtime is 8pm) and she wants to go home.

Last year she was in a different troop and they did their meetings every other Friday from 4-5pm immediately after school. I liked that timing so much better.

I'm not thinking we'll be signing her up next year.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:50 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

• My oldest is almost 8 and in scouts. Last year was her first year and it was on Fridays. They were suppose to meet from 6-7 but the scout leader didn't think that was enough time so they had it 6-730. This year it is a different leader and she couldn't do Fridays so now they meet on Wednesday once a week from 6-730.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:17 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

• My son is in boy scouts. It's through their church. Meetings are Tuesday nights 7:00-8:00. I hate it, our troop is TINY (6 kinds in cub scouts if we're lucky), and he's never home before 9:00.

My husband is supposed to be Cubmaster and I'm supposed to be the Committee Chair. Half the time we blow off scouts and do something else instead. It's hard to be excited about something when you have NO budget and are told you can't do ANYTHING to fund raise or make changes to the program.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:16 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

• My 7 year old is in cub scouts and his meetings are twice a month for the den from 6:30-7:30 and once a month for the pack from 7-8. My 5 year old is in girl scouts and meet once a week from 6:30-7:30 but were going to meet from 6-7 if the church room had not already been booked. That sounds pretty late to me and I personally would not be attending twice a week either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

• My kids aren't allowed to join bigoted organizations.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:52 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

• My son was in scouts. The meetings were on Friday at 7pm.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 8:57 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Oh our scouts meet Monday and weds from 6:30-7:45
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:04 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

Answer by funlovinlady 40 minutes ago

^^^OP said "her", so I think she meant Girl Scouts. Last I checked, they don't fit that criteria. My dau's troop has dwindled so they don't meet as often. But last year, they met every Monday from 6-8pm.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:35 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Used to be. My DGS is ot really interested. Son and daughter both participated and meetings were once a week and in the evening I think we started at 6 or 6:30. about an hour long.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:53 AM on Feb. 21, 2013