DSLR Questions

Hi everybody! I've been saving up for a DSLR for FOREVER. I finally have enough, and have been researching the newest DSLRs(when I first started saving up, the Canon T3i was top of the line and my favorite). I found a Nikon D3000 with 2 lenses(an 18-55mm and a 55-200mm, both no VR) for relatively cheap($399.00!!! and below my price limit of around 500), considering prices of comparable cameras, and was wondering if it was worth it. I have read reviews, specifically Ken Rockwell's, that said the D3000 was very slow, and while the 18-55mm lens was a great choice, the 55-200mm was not as great as the 55-200mm VR. I also have to say that this is my first DSLR, and I've been doing camera courses and reading/learning as much as I can since I first fell in love with the DSLR, so while I have book knowledge and some hands-on with a bridge camera(a Fuji FinePix), I have no experience with a DSLR.

Will I regret this purchase, or does it seem solid? Will I be needing another lens to compensate for the 'poor' quality of the 55-200mm lens, or is this something that I can learn on and work with? Thanks!

lovingmy4babies

Asked by lovingmy4babies at 8:42 AM on Feb. 21, 2013 in Technology

• the VR is Vibration Resistant, and I have VR lenses. I would highly recommend them, as it will compensate for some shaking. You can't be shaking like you're in an earthquake of course, but if you're a little shaky because you're standing in the same position for so long or it's a once in a lifetime shot and you're nervous, it will help compensate for that.

But I wouldn't say the other is "poor" quality, either. It just won't compensate for any vibrations, so if there's the slightest movement, your shot may not come out right.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:00 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

• i got my Canon Rebel t3 last month and i love it, it's my first DSLR. i swore by Nikon until i got my Rebel. it's great for people that are just starting out. i bought a bundle on amazon, it came with the 18-55 image stabilization/macro lens and a 75-300mm telephoto lens, plus a tripod, memory card & case, memory card reader, cleaning kit and camera case for $579.00.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:11 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

• I have a D3100, and I love it. I usually use the 18-55 lens, mainly because the 55-200 lens doesn't come out far enough so I can't take shots that capture what I am seeing. What I really want is an 18-105 lens, which would be perfect, but is about $400 just for the lens. I love Nikon cameras, but Canons are also amazing cameras and there really isn't much difference as far as quality and performance goes. They are both really good choices. Canons might be a little easier to find accessories and lenses for.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:42 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

• My husband recently bought the T4i. He's absolutely in love with it. It takes like 5 pictures a second, has a fold out screen, and also does video. I got his "old" camera, the Rebel XSi. I've used it in the past and really like it.

My family is quite partial to Canon. I've tried other cameras in the past and I like Canon the best. Most, if not all, the lenses for Canon cameras are interchangeable.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:22 AM on Feb. 21, 2013