Whats up with the show hoarders?

How can anyone live this way? I like watching it to get me in the mood to deep clean my house lol.

Im-HiDdEn

Asked by Im-HiDdEn at 9:11 AM on Feb. 21, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I know for a long time I was a hoarder. Not to the degree you see on the shows with all the garbage but rather with groceries. When my ex left I had a terrible fear that I would not be able to feed my kids other then what I grew in the garden. At one point I had over 100 rolls of toliet paper, 30 shampoos, 40 can's of each type of soup, etc. Anything that wouldn't spoil. As time has went on the fear has gotten less and I have let go. I still keep my pantry well stocked but not to this degree. I think the difference is that they havn't let go of their fear but instead gotten buried. They get to the point of they see it but have no idea of how to even start so they do nothing.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:29 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

• It's sad to watch that, but my house feels bare compared to some of the homes on that show.

What is up with it is exposing the condition that is often times brought on by emotional trauma and has been left to fester to a point that the house is no longer safe to live in (many times it hasn't been safe for years) and they face being shut out by the local government for unsafe living conditions or they clean up their house. Think if you had a horrible phobia or illness and someone came in and said 'You have one week to get over your lifelong illness or we will lock up your house and you will be homeless'. I feel really bad for the people that have to try to deal with their illness on someone else's schedule.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:21 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

• My father is a hoarder and it is a horrible way to live. Unfortunately, most hoarders do not or cannot realize the problem their "collecting" has become. Nor can they see how it affects those around them. I have watched the show and mostly it makes me sad. Because I can hear my father's voice in every hoarder and I know how the kids in some of those episodes feel.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 11:05 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

• I don't watch the show, but I think for some people it's like a mental illness- where they are afraid to throw things away. Just like some people are afraid of leaving the house, or getting on an elevator. I know we have a little clutter here & there, but I can't imagine living like that either.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:14 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

• not seen a show, but clips on other shows
    and i think i would not make me want to clean
    it would make me think my house was really clean
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:46 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:32 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

• I watch Hoarders and Intervention and my life seems pretty good by comparison!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:16 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• my ex MIL was getting there. I feel bad for her soon to be husband
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:17 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

• I hate clutter so much that I can't even watch that show. The commercials are enough.  IMO, my step mom has hoarding tendancies (she's a pack rat & keeps collecting crap) but, my parents home does have clear walking paths and room for furniture.  However, it's too cluttered for me. 

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:07 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Eeekss that show makes me feel so gross. I've watched several episodes. I don't understand it. I agree with mrsmom, it has to be a mental illness.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:50 AM on Feb. 21, 2013