SO "Switched at birth" question?

Just out of curiosity, after you had any of your children & the Nurse brought them into your Hospital room for the first time, would you recognize if they brought you the wrong baby?

I would know if it was not my baby immediately!

How about you?

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 12:17 PM on Feb. 21, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The hospitals take a ton of precautions. Bracelets with matching ID numbers, those little alarm thingies that go off when the baby gets too far away--and yes, I set the damn thing off and scared the heck out of everybody because I didn't know I couldn't go as far as this cozy little sitting room down the hall. Obviously, I didn't see my baby when she was born, but her dad did. She wasn't in the nursery much anyway. I would hope I'd have known if there was a problem, but apparently it happens sometimes. Maybe by scent even? My daughter left a shirt at her nanna's house, and it wasn't found for months. When it was found, I knew right away before I even touched it that it was hers, just by her own unique smell, which everyone has.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:10 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Without a doubt. My DD was born with her daddy's nose and my DS has a birthmark on his shoulder. Even without those i would be able to tell.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:21 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• I would have known because my youngest son was ten pounds five ounces he was the biggest born that day. My oldest was the only boy born that day the other fifteen were girls.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:11 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Yes, I would recognize their cry when I heard the nurse bringing them to the hospital to nurse. My dh was always surprised that I knew whether they were bringing ours or not.

Answer by missanc at 2:32 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• I think/hope so lol. My son NEVER left my side though. I didn't feel the need to have him in the nursery at any point.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:26 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• i would know without a doubt. my kids had a ton of hair! my husbands ears and my eyes. not to mention from the minute they were born they never left my side. except our first born who left for just a little bit. i could imagine it happening to moms who are really drugged and out of it. my cousin barely remembers her labor because of all the meds she was on ( preterm labor and gallbladder issues etc) if it werent for the family she had in there i could imagine her not really knowing.
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 12:28 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• I know is mine because my husband didnt separate from him for one minute. He was with one of us all the time.
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 12:28 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• yes, my first one came out with this little (what I thought at the time) mole on his hand, It turned into some kind of scab that fell off after a week. My second had three milk bumps that made a perfect triangle next to his left eye that eventually went away. So those were how I would know. My children only left my room to be circumsized, everything else they stayed in my room.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:32 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• I would hope that I would but really who knows especially on the first.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• I would know cause my son at birth and still now looks exactly like my Mother.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:28 PM on Feb. 21, 2013