If your pet had a huge litter what would you do?

Even if you have fixed the pet, I just need to know options. DH parents had Pomeranian dogs and would sell them for up to 1500, I have birds , she has six eggs so far. What would you do. There is sell , donate , keep and who knows what else.

sunshine196

Asked by sunshine196 at 12:46 PM on Feb. 21, 2013 in Pets

• If you've never hand-raised baby birds before, try to find resources in your area for help. Contact vets, or do a Google search for aviculture societies. If you want the birds to be tame, you need to handle them a lot an take over the feeding from the mom. However, when you feed the babies with a dropper, it's really easy to drown them with the liquid food because the windpipe is very close to the throat. If you don't want the babies, you can take away the eggs. But then you need to cut back on Mama's food for a few days so her body thinks times are tough, and she won't just lay more eggs. Also, give her finely ground-up eggshells to replenish her calcium that she lost from laying the eggs. Don't give her anything like wood shavings or newspaper or corncob litter that she can nest in; that way, there's no incentive to lay more. PM me if you need help an I can hook you up with a bird expert in your area. Good luck!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:48 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• I would put an add in the paper and give them away to good homes. I would never be able to sell them. And never would I pay $1,500 for a dog...no less an ankle biter.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:05 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Kick myself for not getting them fixed before that happened. I would hate to have to live with that kind of guilt.

Then donate to a breed rescue program so that they go to good homes.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:11 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Seriously? His parents kept their Pomeranians outside? Good grief.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:14 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Not saying it is you. But those are the type of people who should never have pets because they obviously do not know how to treat them. And people paid that much for their backyard breeding...sad.

Seems like you care about your birds. I would personally make sure they go to good homes on my own. Maybe charge $50 or something to help avoid the "undesirables," but wouldn't charge more than that. Good luck.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:21 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• I would sell them myself through ads etc. I would definitely get mine fixed if I did not want anymore, personally.
    I am not much of an "expert" on birds but I do know that hand raise and hand trained pirds go for much more than other birds.

Lovin, petstores are notorious for buying from puppy mills, kitty mills and bird mills. It does not matter how clean the store is. If you support those who buy from animal mills you supposrt the animal mills. That is just the way I feel about it. Many of the stores alsohave enough room or thin inclination to let the dogs gets a little excercize and the cats birds and of the small animals to get any human interaction time. This to me is abuse as well.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:40 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• I'd be shocked as hell and calling all the local news stations. I have 3 male, fixed cats.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:54 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Birds if you have the room ad there is the market I guess I would sell them. If my dog were fixed and had any litter I would go back to the vet and raise hell.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:58 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Love birds should be kept together in two's.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Oh Good gravy do not ever sell to a pet store
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:02 PM on Feb. 21, 2013