Guinea Pig vs. Rats

I have a 3 year old that loves pets but I can’t decide between guinea pig or a rat. What are the pros and cons of both or which do you have and why do you love them?

MrsMorrell

Asked by MrsMorrell at 1:42 PM on Feb. 21, 2013 in Pets

• I went through this decision a couple of years ago when we were looking for something like this for then 5yo DD. I would have LOVED to have gotten her a rat. They are so smart and really social, but their tails...*shivers*...I could have never of dealt with that. So we got her a Guinea pig. Love the little guy, but he has much left to be desired.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 2:06 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• A 3 year old is way too young for either IMO. I had both & they can bite if handled improperly. Rats are much cleaner & do not smell.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:44 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• cat or dog. # is really too young for new pets.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:44 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Neither
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:46 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Neither and that age is not ready for pets.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:49 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Neither at that age.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:59 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Neither in my house! Yuck! I cared for a friend's guinea pigs for a month while she was in the hospital once, and the wretched little things squeaked and rustled around all night and made an enormous mess of the floor around their cages.

Three years old is really too young to interact properly with a small animal that has sharp teeth. What about getting fish your kid can watch?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Guinea Pig Pro- cute n fluffy Con- loud and annoying squeaks at all hours of the day/night
    Rat Pro-Quiet Con -CREEPY AS HELL

Personally I would NEVER have either one of them, but just remember that In Reality any pet you get for a 3 year old is something you will be taking care of. I would suggest a fish as a first time pet
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:03 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Yea, 3 is to young for those pets. I do no believe in getting kids pets any ways.

Answer by louise2 at 3:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2013