Online College?

I'm looking into an online college, mostly for medical coding or desk assistant, something that I can start a career at. I want to make sure its accredited and looks good, I don't want it to be a waste of my time. I have a baby and I can't afford to go to a campus, I live in a small town and our closest college is 45 minutes away :(

swaney06

Asked by swaney06 at 4:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2013 in Money & Work

• have you checked with your local community college to see if they offer online classes? That would more then likely be a better bet and cheaper then these online c;asses you see on TV.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:54 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Stay away from for-profit colleges like University of Phoenix. Most state colleges have online options!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:56 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Community college. Your local state university probably has it, as well, but community will be cheaper, and the types of things you're looking into are 2 year degrees, so no need to pay the ridiculous tuition from a U for it. And make sure it's a real Community college and not a scam one. We have one here called Brown Mackie, and the degrees they give are absolutely useless, none of the credits are recognized by any state school, and when you present one at a job interview, it's pretty much a lock you'll be bumped to the end of the list. If you don't research, it would seem like just another community college, but it's not - it's a for-profit that tries to blend in as a comm.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:04 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• I agree with the local community college option. I took several online classes at my community college before I switched over to university.
    hatagaj

Answer by hatagaj at 11:23 AM on Feb. 22, 2013

• http://referral.careerstep.com/ref21661
    XOXOArmyWife

Answer by XOXOArmyWife at 4:18 PM on Mar. 15, 2013