Buncombe Revisited

For those who weren't around when this first started:

"Pagans, atheists, Christians and the battle for equal treatment"

"North Carolina Pagan Receives Death Threat After Challenging Bible Distribution"

So fast forward a year, and the school board has finally removed its head from its ass, changed policy, and started teaching its teachers that it's not legal to proselytize in school. (you'd think they'd need to know that before they were hired, but whatever)

As part of their effort to avoid losing dozens of lawsuits, they've started a full on campaign to promote respect and equality in their schools.  That includes showing this video they've put together to all students:

https://vimeo.com/47124955

While I appreciate they've finally decided to join at least the 20th century, if not the 21st quite yet, I'm not sure kids are going to get much out of that video. It's obviously made for adults (specifically lawyers ready to land on them at a moments notice, and the teachers and administrators who created this mess in the first place).

Is this  the best way to teach this lesson to all their students?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:58 PM on Feb. 21, 2013 in Religious Debate

• The video didnt bother me. It was pretty nuetral in all aspects... obvious that is was the result of getting slapped around legally. But I imagine bottom line, they had to do something to say they had jumped on board with the rest of us....
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:52 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• I don't see anything wrong with it - I just don't see a single grade school student who is going to sit through the whole thing and absorb a single word of it. Even the ones who were IN it probably got bored half way through and tuned out.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• I think most kids reaction to it is going to be: 1. its way boring and 2. why are you telling me this? I already know it.

for the most part, its not the kids who are intolerant!!!
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 7:09 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• lol, all I can think watching this is that there are people here on CM who need to hear what is and isn't allowed when it comes to teachers and religion ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:34 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• for the most part, its not the kids who are intolerant!!!

I think that's regional. And, risk the wrath of NC CM's, I'll say NC is one of those regions that is not exactly a hotbed of tolerance - iirc, it's one of the states that lets kids leave in the middle of the school day, cross the street, go to bible study in a trailer, and give them school credit for it (plus still claim them as in attendance all day). I know some of the moms here have had issues in the past with their kids having overzealous classmates. DS has dealt with a few, but so far he's been lucky that they fall in the clueless devotee rather than rabid converter category. (they had no idea it was legal to not be Christian, but they weren't trained to attack)
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 9:36 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Hey, NP, I'm from NC. Lived there until just about two years ago :P
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:45 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

And I notice you point that out, but didn't disagree with any of the rest of it :p
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 9:46 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• lol, that's because can't really argue with a lot of it. ;) I was lucky that I had an awesome teacher do a world religion's class (it was supposed to be world cultures, but it was great the way he did it), who was really unbiased, but a lot of the students and parents do fit what you describe. Our biology teacher told us outright that he didn't believe in evolution, but that he had to teach it. There are (or were, at least) prayers at football games, all that kind of stuff, too. It's common to be asked if you're "saved" and all that as casual conversation, etc, etc. You have to be careful 'round these parts (we live just over the state line now, in VA) - even as a Christian I find myself answering questions like "you do believe in Jesus, don't you" very carefully, so as not to open the door too far, lol. Definitely a Christian majority. I was actually surprised to even know we had a UU group in my area because of it, lol.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:54 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• honestly, kids are gonna pay as much attention to that as they do to any of the lame personal relationship videos they are forced to watch. all those PSA type things are ignored by the vast majority of students...as far as these kinda videos go its pretty decently made.

its not the best way to teach this message to students, but it will get thru to those who arent being fed hate at home. and those who are being fed hate & are stupid enough to bring that hate to school will (hopefully) be made examples of. this school (and many others) have a long road ahead of them, but at least they are taking the first (all but legally required) actions towards tolerance.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:31 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• I can imagine that video whooshing through the heads of most grade school kids without even pausing between their ears.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:56 PM on Feb. 21, 2013