Why are American Christians still funding the burning of "witches" in 2013?

The Reality of Burning Witches (Trigger Warning)

Lot of links at the full story, here's the tldr version:

The woman, named by The National newspaper as Kepari Leniata, 20, was reportedly tortured with a branding iron and tied up, splashed with fuel and set alight on a pile of rubbish topped with car tires.

That one happened 2 weeks ago.

Mrs Adewumi was accused of being responsible for the sickness of a local evangelist. She was dragged to the palace of the monarch, where she was forced to drink local concoctions. The concoctions were given to her to make her confess or die within seven days. But after seven days she did not confess or die. Subsequently local thugs stormed her house. They dragged her under the rain and flogged her. According to a family member, her attackers scrapped her hair with broken bottles and used a big scissors to cut her fingers, then placed her on a tyre and set her ablaze.”

That one in a different country the same week.

The "witch-hunting" is being funded in part by American Evangelical groups like the Liberty Gospel Church in Houston, who promote spokespeople who call for witch burnings and encourage people to identify their children as possessed.  Also by the groups sending missionaries to New Guinea, Nigeria, Kenya (where it is FINALLY outlawed), and other countries, where it's made a teaching tool to convert locals to Christianity.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:35 PM on Feb. 21, 2013 in Religious Debate

• fucking morons!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:37 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Well, a lot of horrid crap goes down in the name of God and christianity that God has no part of.. just look at the WBC for starters. But I read that article, and clicked on the links, and I couldn't find a link to a legitimate, christian organization that is supporting this... I found other articles in the same magazine, but nothing by a "christian" group of people claiming support. Did I miss that?
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:02 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Did I miss that?

They've been doing watchdog stories on her in particular for a while, so they link to the previous articles about her that have the links to the orgs.   There's also an HBO doc about her called "Saving Africa's Witch Children" that follows a man who travels around Africa trying to save all her victims.

She was brought to the US to "testify" in the church about all her "good works" with the money they've been sending her.  Pentacostal churches send her money for her "mission work" and sell her books about how to tell if your child is possessed.

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:09 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Burning witches was dumb back then even more so now witches were women in the know about herbs and potions that would heal the sick. History is repeated by those to ignorant to learn from it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:59 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Because the bible tells them to?

How disturbing, you would think we'd learn from history. Where the people who were involved in the murders arrested?
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 7:17 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Another reason why I don't live in the South but honestly, do you think the congregation knows they are party to this? I mean, I wonder if they link that people are being set on fire due to their support? I am not religious so I just can't relate. I did see the first story but not the second one. I feel the same way about stoning. Fucked up.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:36 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• I'm swear, I think there are a lot more christian church groups, that are involved in missionary work that approve of this type of shit.
    It's sick. truly sick.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:10 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• I don't think most people would find justification for something like that in the Bible. It's nauseating. This shouldn't happen, in the name of God or otherwise. I do think, however, that some people who are hostile to Christianity find the worst horrors they can get their hands on and spread them around to justify their feelings. The horrors shouldn't happen; I'm not excusing them, but the vast majority of Christians are good people who wouldn't advocate such atrocities and who would report their perpetrators.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:17 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• but the vast majority of Christians are good people who wouldn't advocate such atrocities and who would report their perpetrators.
    ******************************
    perhaps many are unaware of what is actually going on.
    And finding a story like this to be horrific, is hardly someone "hostile" to chrisitanity, but hostile to the atrocities done in this "gods" name.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:22 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• I don't think most people would find justification for something like that in the Bible. It's nauseating. This shouldn't happen, in the name of God or otherwise

Have you read Deuteronomy 13:7-12, Leviticus 20:27, Exodus 22:17? The sad thing is some won't... But there are those that will and do so with joy because they see at as doing gods will.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 9:24 PM on Feb. 21, 2013