Ever wonder how many bad teachers like this are still out there because they aren't caught?

In some ways it's worse because she's a special ed teacher, so some of her students won't even know to speak up or disagree with her.

When asked if she thinks gays have a purpose in life, Medley said, "No I honestly don't. Sorry, but I don't. I don't understand it."

"A gay person isn't going to come up and make some change unless it's to realize that it was a choice and they're choosing God," Medley told WTWO.

She's suspended from her public school job downstate now.  They say it's for "her own safety" but hopefully what's best for her safety is to get a job at McDonald's.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2013 in General Parenting

• I dont understand why a teacher (or anyone) would feel the need to advertise their personal feelings on such subjects. I never have understood this. When did it become acceptable to air all of your personal views to everyone, about everything, all of the time?? In my educational life, Ive had some really great teachers and professors. Were they gay? No idea Were they straight? No idea. Were they homophobes? No idea. Were they racists? No idea. I know nothing about them except they taught me the course content exceptionally well. They were teachers. They taught. They didn't talk to me about my personal values, or my sex life. And they especially didn't talk about theirs.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:17 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• In this case, she was part of the school staff advocating a "segregated" private prom that wouldn't allow the LGBT students to attend. She was very vocal on the subject, and those quotes were from the local news interviewing her about why they needed a separate prom for "good kids". What's sad is she wasn't suspended the day she said it- they let her back in the classroom with special needs kids.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:26 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• I have a real problem with teachers who think that their teaching degree gives them some special knowledge or insight that a gay child is not "good" and cannot go to prom. I too have teaching credentials (expired now). So I can teach social sciences. Big freaking deal. I know my history, and my poli sci. How in the world does that translate to me legislating sexual morals onto teenagers, and passing judgment on who is "good" and who is "bad"? And WHY DOES THE SUBJECT EVEN COME UP?? I truly don't get that. Ive been in the classroom, as a student and a teacher. I go to school, I learn or I teach. Who I am sleeping with does not come up. Who they are sleeping with does not come up. Why, as a student, or a teacher, would I be concerned with which students are gay and which are straight? How does that effect my teaching or my learning???
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:36 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• I think she has a right to he opinion but I do not think that her opinion should have be "voiced" outside of the meeting of the teachers on this subject. I do not think it should be a forbidden topic in the closed discussion because all veiws on what is the best path for the school and students should be an open discussion. But it should not have left that meeting and she was simply stupid in the extreme to voice it so publicly.
    Why wasn't she fired on the spot is probably an issue best address by the teacher's union and her tenure. Teachers can not be fired on the spot. They can be suspended pending review. I am pretty sure that even with that the board and possibly the principals would need to have a meeting to discuss their options.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• she doesn't "understand" it, well, that's not our problem. I'd like to round up all the dumbasses and put them on an island together and watch them fight it out. Okay, probably not my best solution....but.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:31 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Some people really are too stupid to leave their houses ... wait, I like Jeanclaudia's idea better.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Like all jobs, there are good teachers and there are not so good teachers. I have taught in over 50 schools. ( I am an itinerant music teacher and I subbed for 6 years, so I have taught in every school in 2 districts) There are more good, intelligent,dedicated, caring, compassionate teachers than batty, wacko, ignorant ones. The wackos just really stand out. I teach at one school where I have heard the staff say things that really shock me, and I work at another that has a student with 2 mommies, and one of the mommies is a teacher at the school. Everyone knows, no one cares.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 9:54 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Thats horrible!
    Im-HiDdEn

Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 9:26 AM on Feb. 22, 2013