How do you know if your child is 'gifted' or just 'clever'?

I am not trying to snarky or braggish but I have various concerns regarding my DD's education as far as her ability verses the current County Kindergarten curriculum. I mena, I have had these concerns for a while but it is getting more and more worrisome as the year goes on! I was trying to find more information on how they would handle the discrepancy and was not able to find out a whole lot during my search.

She is currently enrolled at a Montessori School Pre-K program. She entered the program able to read very simple books and with their support she is now reading beginner chapter books ( Such as 'Junie B. Jones) . She has 'Mastered' the Pre-K program and is ahead of their private kindergartner Students in most areas. Math is her weakest subject and she is adding and subtracting, including double digits with out 'carrying' numbers, quite well as wall as learning to tell time. I don't know if any of this is considered 'gifted' but it is enough to cause some concerns for me. I worry she is going to be bored in a public school Kindergarten. I worry she is not going to be challenged. I feel she is academically ready for first grade but emotionally I know she is still five. As much as we would love to keep her at the Montessori it just isn't possible from a cost stand point.

all that aside... How do you know if your child is gifted?
and
How can I advocate for her next year as she enters public school? What should I expect? Besides me having to supplement at home...

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 6:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2013 in

• I meant, he SCored really high on his GATE tests. Stupid phone.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:50 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• I do not push her. She pushes herself and she learns at her own pace on her own terms.

These are the principles of the school she goes to, what I have always found wrong with this type of curriculum is that at the college level, there is competition and taking standarized testing and grading andf you can't go at your own pace...there is a need to keep up and be competitive......thus having to change everything she has learned in this Montessori method.

She sounds like a very smart little girl but let her be along the rest of others her age unless she feels she doesn't fit, let her decide....like someone else said fowarding her ahead of others might back fire....

Answer by older at 7:05 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• A Bright Child: A Gifted Child:
    Knows the answers Asks the questions
    Is interested  Is very curious
    Pays attention Gets involved mentally and physically
    Works hard Can be inattentive and still get good grades and test scores
    Answers the questions Questions the answers
    Enjoys same-age peers Prefers adults or older children
    Learns easily Often already knows the answers
    Is self-satisfied (when gets right answer) Is highly self-critical
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:46 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• That so did not come out as it was suppose to. But_Mommie, here is the website- http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Ed_Bright_vs_Gifted/. This is what my son's school gave us at the start of his Kindergarten year.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:47 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• The school tested my son, they asked for us to let him skip the second grade. They have a program for the gifted and talented kids. The school takes them out of certain classes and gives them (a group of GT kids) extra challenging work to do.
    They went to a like competition with other school his first grade year. It was gun, they did a short one act play. They had to build all the sets, write the play, and make costumes, etc...
    Once they're in the GT program, they're always in it, so still today in the the 7th grade, he's still involved in special field trips and other stuff...
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 8:35 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• this is how one of my teacher ed books puts it

okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:23 AM on Feb. 22, 2013

• My daughter attends a private school because we valued their progressive education philosophy, but we still went through the kindergarten screening process at our local public school since it happened in the spring & we hadn't yet finished the application/admission process at the other school. The school had a kindergarten screening day during which the full kindergarten staff was present in the auditorium staffing various stations where they met with each child & assessed their abilities across a wide range of modalities, including physical skills (like jumping, hopping, skipping, catching & throwing...) and cognitive processes. Kids were identifying shapes/colors/letters/numbers, but also exploring more (categorizing, reading) depending on the individual. They were evaluating comprehension & assessing capacity (not just knowledge/memorization), as well. My daughter couldn't read because we didn't emphasize that & had chosen
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:06 AM on Feb. 22, 2013

• a play-based preschool, but the screening wasn't structured to base the assessment of ability or level on things like can/can't read, or does/doesn't know letter names. There was an electronic scoring process, and a teacher met with me at the end to go over the results for my daughter. She scored right around average or just below in one area (gross motor) which was no surprise to me, lol, but she tested as advanced in the others. So it wasn't completely based on "academic" knowledge because they also assessed how a child could handle or process information, identify patterns, etc. in the moment.
    But the point is that they had a pretty detailed & comprehensive screening procedure in place to assess the incoming kids & to help inform the class/teacher assignments, identifying the needs of ALL the kids & planning to structure things to meet those varying needs well.
    Maybe they'll be ready for her & you won't have a bored kid.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:15 AM on Feb. 22, 2013

• Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.