WWYD

My son was speech evaluated & did not fall behind. However, he is speaking not clear. He is 4. He does pronaunce letters (like f in fish or other but it's kinda hard to hear it). We're Polish-Americans, so sometimes he tries to say a word combining his knowledge from 2 words in 1 sounding in between. What I am saying does not probably make much sense. But when should I start worrying? Have him evaluated again? Wait? Go for therapy? Should I work with him myself? Or wait & see if he improves?

kujus04

Asked by kujus04 at 8:15 PM on Feb. 21, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Four is quite young. If he was already evaluated once, I'd wait and see what happens when he gets to school. There is usually a speech professional employed in each district. It wouldn't hurt to work with him at home on letters he has trouble with. Make up silly sentences that have a lot of words containing the troublesome letters, and repeat them to each other. But I wouldn't fret too much yet.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:24 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• I also had my son eval'ed by the schools SLP at 4 as well... they strongly suggested to wait until he was thru Kindergarten and around other kids more before they would even consider his speech a problem. Then he lost his front baby teeth and they won't even treat speech until they are in b/c all kids mess up words without those teeth. Does all that make sense?? So anyways, here we are, he's in first grade, teeth are in and he no longer has a speech issue. I listened to the SLP and it all worked out well. You can have him eval'ed again but messing up words at 4 is completely appropriate. If your gut says something serious is wrong get him eval'ed again. But, chances are it is age appropriate at this point.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:24 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• I assume you are speaking your native tongue at home at least part of the time. This is not a bad thing because he will be bilingual but there are pronunciation and syntax differences between the languages, the way we say a word and how the sentences are put together.
    It is not unusual for children in this situation to speak slightly differently than a third ofr fourth generation child. If you are concerned just keep talking clear english when he is around. Again I do not think it is necessary. When he gets into grade school if the teachers notice a problem, they will suggest he be tested. I really would not worry yet.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:25 PM on Feb. 21, 2013