what is strep b and how bad is it?

I've recently been tested and said to have strep b, i was wondering is this really common in pregnant women and is it harmful? i tried getting info on it but i don't really understand

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 AM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:43 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I had it with my last two pregnancies and don't remember how you get it or if it is that bad . I know that when you go into labor they will give you antibiotics so you don't pass it on to your baby .
    katherine4

Answer by katherine4 at 10:05 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Group B strep is a bacteria that leaves in the rectal/vaginal area of women and can show up in higher concentrations at any time during the pregnancy. You say you have it, well your OB will want you on antibiotics during labor, which are not necessary, and in fact don't improve the outcome for babies born with group b strep, to be honest. There are many things midwives tell you to do that do not involve ABX and homebirths/ out of hospital births don't have a higher outcome of babies born with GBS.

http://www.mothering.com/articles/pregnancy_birth/birth_preparation/group-b.html

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:02 AM on Feb. 15, 2009