Homeschooling

DH and I have been toying around the idea of me homeschooling DD in the upcoming years.

One thing that would worry me about taking this route would be how these homeschooled children handle going from learning at home one-on-one with a parent to learning in a classroom setting with one teacher for 30 or so others, be it either later in school years or in college. I would think that would not be an easy adjustment to make.

Anyone have any personal experience with this transition?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 11:28 PM on Feb. 21, 2013 in

• Check to see if there are any homeschool Co-Ops in your area. This will give her the one on one for most of the week and a "classroom" type setting for once a week or every other week depending on the Co-Op.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:35 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Yes. I homeschooled both of my younger boys. The middle one from 3rd grade through 5th, the youngest from 2nd grade through high school. Both are currently college students. Both did fine when they went back to school. I did keep them involved in group sports, summer camps, art classes, and a couple of homeschool groups as well as a homeschool P.E. group that met twice a week, so they were very involved in group activities.

And by the way, the younger son started college at 15
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:39 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Most make the adjustment pretty well. Learning at home actually can often give them an advantage, as learning at their own pace could lead them to be ahead of their grade level peers in school. So even if they had a little trouble adjusting, it likely wouldn't impact them academically. It's really not that different than adjusting from going to school to homeschooling. My boys made that adjustment really easily. If she's been in public school before you start homeschooling (I'm not sure how old she is, so I don't know if that would be the case for you or not), the adjustment would be even easier because she would remember what it was like.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:51 AM on Feb. 22, 2013