Have you ever broke, cracked or bruised your ribs?

Can you describe it? I know I have to go to the doctor today because the pain is unbearable, but can't get there until this afternoon.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:11 AM on Feb. 22, 2013 in Health

• Oh it sucks, BIG TIME! I fell on our icy back steps (cement) a few years ago. I broke 3 ribs on my left side - 1 of them all the way thru. I could feel them rubbing together when they were trying to fuse back together. I couldn't lay flat for 5 wks. I swear if that ever happens again, I want to be placed in a medically induced coma for at least the first 2 weeks! So you have my deepest sympathy :( *hugs*

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:05 AM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I have not, but my aunt did. It's very painful, and the bad news is there is nothing the docs can do for you. They just have to heal on their own!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:02 AM on Feb. 22, 2013

• They don't wrap them, but you can have pain killers & muscle relaxers. You will also being given a little breathing thing to make you take deep breaths so you don't develop pneumonia. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:06 AM on Feb. 22, 2013

• don't think so...pretty sure I'd remember if I did!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:37 AM on Feb. 22, 2013

• Yep... playing soccer.... and there isn't much they can do but give you some pain meds and maybe some muscle relaxer like Flexeril. Good luck... I know just how you feel!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:04 AM on Feb. 22, 2013

• Yes. I was assaulted and got punched. It was horrible. It took pain meds and time to heal.

Good luck! I know it sucks!!
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 9:19 AM on Feb. 22, 2013

• Cracked. Very painful, couldn't move even breathing hurt like hell.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:02 AM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I had a rib broken by Santa one year. I worked in a pub and the guy playing Santa decided he wanted to buy me a drink. I NEVER EVER touched so much as a cider when working. Soooo ... he carried me (he got behind me and grabbed me round the ribs) to the other bar in the hotel to bu me a drink. My feet never touched the ground (nd I'm 5'8"!!!). He cracked at least one rib but, as I didn't realize at the time (I was 19), I just put up with it. It took months to get better. There isn't much they can do to help you. Even strapping you up doesn't help. It's painful to move and painful to breathe. The only thing that can help is rest. I had a relapse. Several weeks later when the pain was gone, I bent down to pick up my shopping bag and BANG! it was back.

Hopefully, painkillers have progressed since that time. However, I remain wary of Father Christmas - lol!
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 10:09 AM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I broke a rib once when I was about 16 or 17. I was way too skinny and unhealthy and got sick. I sat up sort of sideways in bed, coughed hard, and my rib broke. I remember it being really painful, but there's not much they can do. My doctor gave me painkillers and this weird elastic thing to wrap around my ribcage. It didn't really do much.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:59 AM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I coughed so hard when I had pertussis that I cracked two ribs on one side and one on the other. It hurts like a bitch, like knives running up and down your body. A heating pad might help, and also binding up your ribs with a large elastic bandage. Don't leave the binding on, though, unless you are moving a lot, because the constriction of your breathing over time can cause pneumonia. Otherwise, it's just rest and pain relievers. The doctor won't be able to do a whole lot. Give yourself time to heal; it takes months to feel completely better, though the sharp pain should ease off much sooner than that. Good luck!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2013