I was feeling bad about my life...and then those grandparents made me thankful

We were feeling defeated and bad yesterday,and then on the elevator on our way out of the hospital,2 older folks struck up a conversation with us and told us that their granddaughter just got a new heart and had been at the hospital for 2 months already. Makes my day and a half of sleeplessness and stress seem like nothing at all.
Ever have the universe just give ya a big old slap to the face and make you snap out of your funk?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 10:52 AM on Feb. 22, 2013 in Just for Fun

• Honestly, Butterfly, you posted a question not long ago that kicked me in the butt and reminded me how lucky I am, and I'm grateful. It was the question about how you wished you could hear your son talking to you and have conversations with him. I realized how lucky I was to have my little chatterbox, even if she drives me crazy sometimes.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• Yes I get a good slap when I read some tragic story about a child i the news. Those get to me the most.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:54 AM on Feb. 22, 2013

• Yes. Something similar happened to me when my son was in a children's hospital in Portland, OR. There was a little girl in the room next to him, and I struck up a conversation with the woman who was always with her, thinking it was her mother. Turns out, the little girl was dying of a horrible heart defect that couldn't be repaired any longer (she was about 3, I think) and her parents "couldn't face watching her die", so she was there all alone. This woman was a mom to another child who had been admitted earlier, got healthy and was released, but she couldn't stand the thought of this little one dying all alone in that hospital room so she came back every day to be with her. Ive never forgotten that wonderful mother... I sat with the little girl too until my son was discharged and I had to leave (we lived 400 miles away)....
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• There are examples every day, that if we take the time to read or listen to a story or 2, it will make us appreciate & count our blessings. Thanks for sharing yours.  Hope your little guy gets better soon & that couple's grandchild makes a speedy recovery as well. *hugs*

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:29 AM on Feb. 22, 2013

• Sending good wishes for your little one.

Definitely life gives you opportunities to reflect on your own life. I got a phone call yesterday that a very old friend of mine died. I actually had responded to fiatpax's offer to read dreams last week because I had a dream about this friend, I didn't know then that she had just died.

this friend had a very tragic life, and sadly most of it could have been overcome, but she didn't know how to get out of the depression and tragic cycle her life was in. Now she will never watch her grandchildren grow up, She won't get to see the kind of lives her sons who are young men now go on to lead. She won't be part of it, and it didn't have to happen this way.

I definitely feel appreciation for the life I have, and like her life is a reminder to be thankful for the blessings in my life, and be strong enough to overcome the obstacles thrown in the path.

Big hugs to you honey.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:38 AM on Feb. 22, 2013

• Yes.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:44 AM on Feb. 22, 2013

• Yes, Very often. I hope all is well for you! :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:46 AM on Feb. 22, 2013

• Perspective got to love it. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• blowing kissesFor you Ballad and Nimue930

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 3:12 PM on Feb. 22, 2013