Does the school come after you if your child does collateral damage?

I'm a bit curious how they handle damage to school property. Backing up a bit my child was hit by another student in his life skills classroom. Instead of retaliating against the child he took out his frustrations on a desk. I got the call from his teacher stating the desk is broken and not usable, but all parties involved are ok. No injuries. I was glad to hear that, but began wondering if I was to expect a bill for the desk. He's also ripped a couple of holes in the bus seat which he was written up for. Yes he is a special needs child, but this is new behavior. We have already informed his behavior therapist of the incident. I feel so bad that he was destructive, but at the same time thankful he didn't hit the child back.

2autisticsmom

Asked by 2autisticsmom at 10:57 AM on Feb. 22, 2013 in

• I don't think so. When my son with autism was younger he broke a teachers glasses. The school replaced them for her. Honestly, in self contained classrooms I think they expect some of that.

Answer by missanc at 12:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I would be offering to pay, special needs or not.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 10:58 AM on Feb. 22, 2013

• They might bill you. If you lose or damage a book, you are billed, so I would imagine that would go for other "educational materials" as well. If money is tight, maybe you can work out payment arrangements.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:03 AM on Feb. 22, 2013

• A friend of mine has a son with a "behavior problem". He threw a desk so hard it went thru the drywall and hung there.
    They got a bill.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:33 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I suppose I could offer what I can. We're on a strict budget and I am not sure I could cover replacement costs/repair costs. Waiting for the district to call me back. I feel bad. I didn't want to be "that" mom. Of course had they listened to me in the first place he wouldn't even be in that type of setting. It's really not appropriate for him. He needs a more structured classroom environment.
    2autisticsmom

Comment by 2autisticsmom (original poster) at 11:05 AM on Feb. 22, 2013

• My boyfriend got a bill when his son, who has Asperger's, kicked a hole in a trash can at school.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2013