Question about Ovens

We're thinking about getting a new range that has 2 ovens, but on Sears, all the dual ovens are "freestanding." We have a space for "slide-in", though. Would that still work? (Space is 30 inches, and all the freestanding I'm looking at are 30 inches.)

hopeandglory53

Asked by hopeandglory53 at 11:20 AM on Feb. 22, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I googled it and found this:

Slide-in range = Cooktop portion OVERLAPS your countertop by about 3/4 " on three sides. (cooktop lays on top of counter.)
    Free Standing Range = just that, fits inside the hole proper, perhaps leaving slight gaps between counter edges and stove sides.

Also, the slide-ins don't that the back panel that sticks up against the back wall. They also require (or comes with) a 4" backplate that sits behind the range since this type of range top does not go all the way to the wall. Many people have this piece made from their granite for countertop continuity.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:58 AM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I'm not sure. I would think one of their sales people would know though. Or perhaps if you looked at the models you were interested in online it should tell you if you can use them.

We have dual ovens in the wall in spaces that were built for them. there is no way we could have used free-standing ovens. If all else fails you could remove the part of the cabinetry that frames a slide in and trim that out to allow room for the free-standing. It's hard to say when we don't know the layout of your kitchen.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:40 AM on Feb. 22, 2013

• OK, TY JJK, from that, then it does sound like I have a "free-standing" range in there already!
    hopeandglory53

Comment by hopeandglory53 (original poster) at 2:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2013