What do the doctors usually give babies for a cold?

My 6 month old has a cold and I have it too, but I don't think he is running a fever, just coughing a lot. Do they tell you just to let it pass or do they give you something for a baby that young? And since over the counter meds aren't suppose to be given to a baby is there anything that will work, like some kind of natural tea or something? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my daughter had a cold they gave her Donatussin. It seemed to help alittle but I think time is the best thing...Hope your lil one feels better
    MommytoBe987

Answer by MommytoBe987 at 8:39 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Nothing.

Elevate the head of the crib.
    Run a humidifier in the room (cool mist or steam which ever works best for the baby)
    Steam in the bathroom and suction.
    Saline nasal drops and suction.
    Tylenol for discomfort.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:18 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• nothing.

try the above, and also pedialyte if your baby has diareha.
    CNehneva

Answer by CNehneva at 10:38 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• nothing... and plus even if there is something, i wouldnt give it to him.. unless he had a fever and when he had his cold last week, i just made sure to keep his nose clean, but he was pretty much a happy boy even with gross stuff coming out of his nose.. poor guy...
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:28 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• oh also, try a cold mist humidifier, they work wonders.. ( doubter here ) LOL but my son wasnt so clogged and was back to being a happy baby when he woke up
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:55 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Vicks on the chest
    Synaura

Answer by Synaura at 1:16 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Nothing usually for a cold, unless the cough is REALLY bad. Then, they might prescribe something for the cough. The cold needs to run its course. Lots of love and fluids.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:58 PM on Feb. 15, 2009