I am wondering why can't I produce breast milk

My son was born on January 31 and I was producing milk for a little while & now I am not producing any. Why is that

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2013 in Health

• Have you been pumping a lot? Taking any medications?

Main question do you exclusively breastfeed?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I had the same problem with both of my children. Some people just can't produce enough milk. Don't feel guilty just buy the best formula you can & feed your baby.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I tried every remedy and every piece of advice I could get, and I had to supplement with formula all the way along. I just couldn't produce enough milk. Are you nursing regularly? Is your baby satisfied after you put him to the breast? Are you pumping?

I found some herbal products that helped on www.motherlove.com.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• How do you know that you aren't producing? Is baby all of a sudden hungrier than usual? If so, then it's probably a growth spurt.

If you are measuring by how full your breasts feel, then it is likely because your body is starting to regulate according to how much he takes.

If it by how much you pump, it is in accurate. Some people just don't pump well. I could feed my little ones at 10 pm and have them sleep through the night. But if I pumped I would get maybe an ounce or 2.

Go by diaper count. I've forgotten the numbers but it's an easy google for the info.

Plus the more you supplement with formula, the less you will make and it will become an self fulfilling prophecy.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• And check out kellymom.com and join the breastfeeding group

balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I have the same problem, I pump only since my baby will no longer latch...I ran into the same problem, especially now that she's eating more...they say it works by supply and demand but the more I pumped the more it would hurt and the less I'd get each time. I decided that if I had the milk then she will get it and if I don't then I supplement with formula. I figure even if she only gets one milk meal a day it's more nutrients than not giving any milk at all.
    M213

Answer by M213 at 3:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2013