If a critter died in my wall- will the smell get worse or go away?!

We had a slight mouse problem. I set out poison pellets & sticky traps. Caught 2 on the traps & found a dead mouse in the basement. Well, in the cupboard next to our dishwasher I noticed a funky smell. I took everything out of the cupboard & inspected everything I took out. No carcass. It has to be coming from behind the cupboard, in the wall itself. Before I tear my walls apart, I'm wondering if any of you have dealt with this, & if I need to do that or wait it out a day or 2. The thought of the mess & the carnage itself is grossing me out!  (On the bright side, I haven't heard any scratching noises any more! lol :p)

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 1:51 PM on Feb. 22, 2013 in Home & Garden

• It will get worse before getting better. If it was warmer out I'd say open the windows and let the fresh air in. As it is just stick an air freshner in the area to help cover the smell until it goes away.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• The smell may get worse before it goes away, but it shouldn't take too awfully long if it's just one mouse.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• It will get worse, but eventually goes away. We had a squirrel (or something bigger than a mouse?) die in the walls of my ex's daughter's room. For days I was screaming at her to clean her room! Then I went in and cleaned and the smell got WORSE!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:59 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• Get worse until it drys up. Talk to and exterminator to be sure
    sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 2:03 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• It will get worse then go away. It may take up to a week though.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:04 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I had a mouse die in the floor at the top of the stairs. It was in the summer & smelled right as you got to the top of the staircase for about 2 weeks. I would keep the cupboard door open for ventilation & just wait it out so you don't have to do a renovate! Eventually the little stinker will be bones. :P
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:05 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• Rule of thumb if you see one mouse you need to believe there are more. Yes the smell well get worse before it gets better. I am a serious fan of the snapless traps. They are sticky and you simply throw them away.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I had a squirrel die in my walls in the heat of summer the smell lasted for a week- 10 days then faded fast.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 3:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• it will get worse im sure
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• Get worse before it gets better
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 7:49 PM on Mar. 1, 2013