What state do you live in & why is it great to raise a family there ?

MrsMorrell

Asked by MrsMorrell at 2:08 PM on Feb. 22, 2013 in General Parenting

• Raleigh NC. Relatively low unemployment, highly educated workforce (3 major universities within 30 mins) which is a great incentive for my kids, lots of parks and green space, equidistant from beach and mountains, etc. We're almost always in the top 10 places to live lists.

Answer by missanc at 3:09 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I live in Utah and it isn't great. Just a bunch of hypocritical Mormons that treat everyone like shit if you're not part of the church. Hard to advance anywhere as well since most people here are mormon and if you're not they will pass you up for a raise/promotion if you're not Mormon and go to someone who is less qualified and is mormon.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I live in Japan, and honestly it's great. I mean it sucks that our families are so far away, but crime is pretty darn low here, plus yen rate is amazing right now, so its relatively cheap ( though that fluctuates). It is also a great experience, there is so much to do and see. Plus, we are planning on sending our kids off base to daycare/preschool soon so they can learn Japanese. Most of the people here love American babies and think they are so cute, we can't go anywhere without being stopped for at least 10-15 minutes for people to ooh and ahh over our 2 toddlers. My son just won the hearts of many women in Shinjuku just be walking past and saying "hi" with a wave (he is 14 months). Most of them are very friendly as well and willing to help, but the traffic sucks.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• Ohio,for me in Toledo it is not a great place. As for family events we only have the zoo,art museum and Imagination Station(think COSI),a science center. The schools are bad,jobs are scarce and every attempt to build o up the city is shot down by the mayor. We have many abandoned homes,neglected neighborhoods,... We are looking to relocate.
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 2:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I live in Utah and it isn't great. Just a bunch of hypocritical Mormons that treat everyone like s*** if you're not part of the church. Hard to advance anywhere as well since most people here are mormon and if you're not they will pass you up for a raise/promotion if you're not Mormon and go to someone who is less qualified and is mormon.

How is that legal?

RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 2:12 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• You have to prove it.

I see it all the time in my work.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I love Colorado because we have over 300 sunny days a year. There's snow on the ground now, but the sun is shining, so it was warm enough to go out and play snowballs this morning.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:41 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I live in Kansas City and though there are great things about it, I wouldn't call it a great place to live or raise kids. I would love to move somewhere else, but this is home for now.
    hatagaj

Answer by hatagaj at 3:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I live in Georgia and while I am not crazy in love with the city we live in, I do love the state of Georgia. It has so much to offer, from beaches to mountains. There is a lot of history here as well and some of the best State Parks!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:18 PM on Feb. 22, 2013