My cat needs to be on a diet!

When we got her, she was 6-8 weeks old and malnourished. She almost died. I free-fed her...keeping food in her bowl at all times so she could eat and drink as much as she wanted. It's been over a year and now she's getting pudgy, lol. I tried putting her on a diet of only 1 cup of the dry cat food daily (like the bag recommended) but she drove me up the wall crying for more food!

Is there a better way to put her on a diet? If I don't get this fixed now she'll be well on her way to looking like Garfield, lol!

(I tried weight loss formula food...but we have 2 cats and they share food even though they have separate dishes on different floors in my house. His stomach can't tolerate most foods and it's difficult to keep him out of it.)

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 8:38 AM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Pets

• Most cats will get into a healthful routine once they settle into adulthood. By the time she is about 2 years old she will be her proper weight, or what is proper for her. Cats are like humans, some are thin and some are hefty. Unless she is a little tiny frame cat that weighs 40 pounds, with fat hanging off her in slabs, you don't need to worry about her weight.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:43 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Try smaller meals a couple times a day.
    InsanitySpeaks

Answer by InsanitySpeaks at 1:50 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I make my boy cat jump through his door every day he Wont go outside so I throw plastic easter eggs and he chases too
    Caramel824

Answer by Caramel824 at 2:34 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Can they tolerate wet food? An all wet food diet is actually healthiest for cats (dry cat food has stuff their bodies are designed to process) and when I switched my cat over to it the extra weight just melted off, no matter how much I gave him.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:13 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Hi: Well, make sure you are feeding a good quality cat food that is also for weight reduction. here is a good site to visit:

Cat food experts/  ( two of them ).... see here

http://www.allexperts.com/el/3490-9/Cat-Food/

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 2:50 PM on Feb. 17, 2009