When did your child start to read ?

Sounding out letters and combining sounds

MrsMorrell

Asked by MrsMorrell at 2:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He's trying to combine sounds now - started a little before 3 and is 3.5 now - but it's still pretty shaky. And when "reading" it's hard to tell what words he's memorized (and so can recognize) and what he is actually figuring out. And his reading comprehension is what you'd expect for a 3 year old. That's okay - he's doing great and we're not in a rush.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 6:05 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• Sounding out letters etc. at 4. Really reading sentences, in kindergarten now at 6.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:19 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• my DD has been sounding out letters and slowly figuring out words for about a year (she's 4) and she can memorize a book making it look like she's reading. but she cant sit down with a new book and read the words. i think it will be soon tho cause she really wants to read by herself.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• Mine will be five next week. She can recognize letters and numbers, and she knows some of the letter sounds. But beyond that, she's not really interested yet.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I don't know about sounding out letters and sounds, but as far as really reading, my kids couldn't be more different. My oldest son was reading fairly well on his own at 3, and I never taught him. It was impressive. My youngest son struggled terribly with reading. We put him in tutoring all of last summer, and he was reading well at 7 because of that.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:52 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• My oldest, at 3. But, my youngest is 3 now & hasn't started yet.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• Kindergarten
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 5:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2013