Long false labor?

Last night I thought for sure I was in labor. I was having contractions (pretty mild, but I figured they'd eventually get more painful)

They were 8-10 minutes apart, for THREE hours! I got up and walked around my apartment, peed 3 times, drank 2 bottles of water, and even ate a granola bar and they stayed consistant. We both even called our Moms to let them know it was time!

And then at a bit past 1am, they just stopped. Cold turkey.

Needless to say I was so upset (and a little embarassed for calling my mom and MIL at almost midnight!)

I feel fine now (phsyically, emotionally I'm a little drained)

Has anyone else had a long convincing false labor? Or should I be really freaked out?

OH almost forgot, I'm due *tomorrow*.

BambiF

Asked by BambiF at 8:38 AM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• your not alone i woke up at like 4 in the morning haven contractions and went to the hospital and they sent me homebc they stoped i went back in at 10 that night and had my lil girl by 10:37 the next morning. good luck
    mommy033

Answer by mommy033 at 9:37 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• It's pretty common. Some people go through it for days so three hours isn't that bad. I had this problem for a few hours one night last week. Your body is just practicing.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:46 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• It's not false labor; it is performing a necessary function in preparing your body for birth. In the future you should do your best to rest/sleep. Taking a warm bath can stall the contractions so you can go back to sleep.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:44 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• No need in freaking out! I did that very thing with just about all of my pregnancies. My oldest daughter I was in that false labor scienerio for almost 1 1/2 months (her due date was Oct. 15 and her birth date is Nov 25)!!!! My suggestion is have sex with hubby and have him do a lot of nipple manipulations, nipple manipulations release a chemical that contracts the uterous, just like when you breastfeed. Baby comes when baby is ready! :D Best to you sweet mama!
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 11:52 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• my first daughter did the same thing to me i ended up at the hospital about 4 different times before she came after the last time of them sending me home my mom made the comment of no going back till my water broke two weeks later my water broke and caused the placenta too pull from the wall she came 12 hours later
    Anonymous

• Oh Man! I have four kids and this happened everytime. I had it last for day's at a time. Painful, tiring, losing sleep, and many trips to labor and delivery. I even walked around at 5cm for three weeks with my third. But I will say, when it was time, holy man! It was time, I could feel it. But I will say, it made the real thing a lot easier to handle for me. I had to tell my self a watched pot never boils or I would go nuts!!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:32 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• This happens. It can start & stop, or continue on, be wonky & non regular or close enough. Or just hit you like a freight train one day! Every labor is unique, know that this experience was important for YOUR labor-- it was a hormonal surge and your body reacting. It is all doing what it's supposed to. Soon enough this will be a distant memory and you'll be in diaper-changing land, I promise.
    Have faith in this process, it is your unique experience, YOUR birth story... happening exactly as it's supposed to!
    Good luck! :-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2009