Any family law attorneys here?

I have a really simple question, and it's not about any actual case. It's for the book I'm currently working on.

I have a family law attorney who's going to be arrested. What I need to know is, how familiar would a family law attorney be with criminal law? Would his knowledge be like that of any average person - gleaned from the media and maybe sitting in on a trial now and then? Or do they get some pretty good familiarity in law school?

Or, I guess maybe the better question would be, would his defense attorney have to explain step by step what's going to happen - that he'll have a first appearance, and then this, and then this, and so on, and telling him what bail would be, etc.?

(I've tried googling and apparently I'm not doing it right, because it just wants to give me lists of lawyers in both specialties. lol)

wendythewriter

Asked by wendythewriter at 3:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2013 in Entertainment

• I am not in family law but I know a tad bit. Every lawyer has to have the whole general law background and has to pass the same bar, no matter what area the then decide to practice. He would need little of it explained to him.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• That's what I thought, but I wasn't completely sure. Thanks!
    wendythewriter

Comment by wendythewriter (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• Your welcome.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:33 PM on Feb. 22, 2013