What size baby clothes should I be buying and how does sizing work?

People are trying to buy me baby clothes and asking what size I need. My baby girl is due in June and I'm expecting an average size baby based on how big her dad & I were as babies. Newborn clothes all say 0-3 months, but how accurate is that? I know babies grow fast, but I don't want to have tons of clothes that she has to grow into or that she outgrows in 3 weeks. Should I expect clothes that are 0-3 mo to last 2-3 months? My mother thinks she will be in 3-6 mo clothes almost immediately, but I'm her only kid and I'm almost 30 - she hasn't dealt with babies in a while. Help please.

FlowerPants

Asked by FlowerPants at 3:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• there is newborn, 0-3 months, 3-6 months... you get the picture.

Its very hard to say my DD was in newborn till she was 2 months, My DS skipped newborn all together and by the time he was 6 months old was in 12 month clothes (he was very tall)..
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:53 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• My kids were 9 & 10 lbs and were in newborn cloths only for a few weeks, not even a month. Tell people to get an assortment of 3-6 (summery) and 6-9 (summery & fall) & 9-12 (fall to winter) month stuff.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:53 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• 0-3m will fit about 1-2months depending on brand. newborn fit about 2-3 weeks. get season appropriate clothes.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• my girl was 7lbs and out of newborn in less than a month too. they grow fast. don't waste money on the early month clothing. it will just be peed, pooped and thrown up on.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:56 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• ** by newborn cloths I meant 0-3m

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I wouldn't bother with anything labeled simply "newborn", I would go straight to 0-3 months. From my experience, Gerber brand clothes run on the small side, while Carter's are usually right on or slightly large. Good Luck!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• My babies all needed the NB (smaller than 0-3) for several weeks and I liked having them because the 0-3 were way too big, and I had 7-8 lb babies. I would get at least a few things in that size.
    0-3 months is I think up to 11-12 lbs. It just depends on how fast your baby grows. Mine were in 0-3 month for much longer than 3 months.

Answer by missanc at 4:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• Not only do kids differ in their growth, but different brands run differently, so it's really tough to say.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I would say mostly 0-3 and 3-6 months old, it is hard to gage from there how fast they will grow, my kids both went from 0-3 in a very short time, but lingered in the 3-6 month for quite awhile, depending on the seasons and things, I would ask for mostly 3-6 month.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 4:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• You could always buy at stores that have a 90 day return policy- buy them a week before you're due and return whatever you don't use. If you are buying new. I got everything second hand for my first and saved them for my second.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:47 PM on Feb. 22, 2013