Agree or Disagree...discuss

found on facebook

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 4:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2013 in Religious Debate

• It's human nature to want to be right and to have validation and that's why religions will never coexist.

Except, there are only 3 religions that believe that way - the rest are all live and let live. The actual belief systems which do coexist outnumber those that can't.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• I disagree, only in that there ARE members of the various faiths who DO want to get along and don't believe as rigidly as their religions reputations project. Some of the most active in interfaith relationships, or in gay rights, etc, are actually devout Christians and the like. You just have to know that these are all umbrella identifications for a vast number of people with many different ways of interpretation and application. And for every group using their faith to cause disharmony there ARE those who are using their faiths to actually promote peace and positive relationships with others. It's all about knowing where to look and not only validating the negative versions as being the only ones recognized or the only ones believed to be "true" in their prospective faiths
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:06 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• theres 2 definitions tho...

1. to exist together or at the same time.
    2. to exist separately or independently but peaceably, often while remaining rivals or adversaries.

North Korea and America are adversaries, but we coexist on this planet. there are tense moments but there is peace between us. Christians can live according to the New Testament and Muslims can live according to the Quran and while they disagree, they can not go to war over it. many Christians, Muslims, and Jews live in harmony around the world, and in some places they dont. is one section of that population is following their faith "better" than the others?

you dont have to agree with somebody's faith in order to coexist with them.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I disagree. While I see myself as a Christian, I am smart enough to know that understanding the Bible is all about interpretation. One person might only see the part about homosexuality being a sin, where I prefer to embrace "love you neighbor as yourself" and "love thy enemies". I myself am able to coexist with anyone because I have love and compassion in my heart, not hatred.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• Dard, that doesn't work. You are already on that list.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• i disagree on the grounds that humans CAN coexist by not being dicks toward each other. you can follow any of those faiths for yourself without forcing everyone else to live as you do...unless you are an extreme literalist.

the person who created that sounds like that person in every group who says "actually, you cant coexist because..." and everyone groans at the obnoxious friend's never ending cynicism.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• "Nope "I" am not. I am Catholic."

Catholics aren't Christian?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• It's human nature to want to be right and to have validation and that's why religions will never coexist. If you have a group that thinks one way and they see another group thinking another way, they are going to question both what they believe and what the other group believes and of course, they'll  come to the conclusion that they're right and the other group is wrong. If they're wrong, we MUST make them see it and if they can't or won't then they MUST be forced.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:01 AM on Feb. 23, 2013

• "you dont have to agree with somebody's faith in order to coexist with them." [okmanders]

I agree. Unfortunately, there are far too many that don't and they are the ones that are constantly stirring the pot and throwing shit into the fan to see how it flies and where it lands.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:40 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• Speaking as a Heathen, I don't care what y'all do, just quit dragging me into it ;)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2013