Texture of raw ground beef?

I've been buying my ground beef at Wal-Mart since the budget has tightened up lately. I use to get my meat from Sam's Club, and the beef was very finely ground. This stuff from Wal-Mart is strangely textured. Sort of like mac and cheese noodles. It cooks up the same, but I'm wondering if there's something different about the way it's processed and if it matters. And yes, the horsemeat thing has crossed my mind and made my guts knot up.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 7:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Meat grinders usually push it out in strands, like spaghetti. Some places pack it tighter than others. I don't buy meat at Wal-Mart but I noticed what you're talking about once at my mom's house. It's just in how they grind it. You can always get a cheap old fashioned grinder and run it through again yourself if you don't like how it comes out.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 11:33 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I do not ever buy meat at Walmart. I don't like it or trust it.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 7:59 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• It is purely quality of the meat and the processor. It may also have to do with the cut of meat being ground and/or the fat content.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• they just use a larger blade to grind it.
    you'll notice a difference from the tube and the package too

think of it as asking for sandwich slices vs thin when ordering lunch meat from the deli counter
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I thought Sam's club and Walmart were owned by the same company?? You would think the meat would be the same.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 3:07 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• It's probably just a coarser grind of meat.
    When we help do a cow on the ranch they do 2 different sized grinds - regular and chili, which is much coarser but it's the same meat. It cooks the same way (I've been told. They tend to eat it when I'm at dinner meetings.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:18 AM on Feb. 23, 2013

• I wouldn't worry about it. Walmart has stringent requirements for any vendor that wants to sell their products there, including food items. Have you ever seen the documentary on Walmart? They meet with vendors one-on-one, sample the products, make recommendations on packaging or pricing, etc before a product enters their stores. Some items are specifically sized and packaged according to Walmart's requirements. And yes, it really is just a difference with the meat grinder setting.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 9:20 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• They probably just grind it in a different setting or Sam's Club may have passed it through a grinder twice.
    I'm saving up for a meat grinder, because it's really the best thing to do. Buy the cuts of meat you like and grind them yourself.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:43 AM on Feb. 24, 2013