I have decided to homeschool my 11yr old daughter.....

We have been living here in Florida for the past 6 months. It has been quite the adjustment for me and my 2 daughters. My youngest is attending middle school and has made poor choices in her actions and friends. In the past month she has been suspended from school for cutting class, 3 times. She is failing her classes does not listen to the teachers and has become a liar. I love her dearly, I know living in a new state is hard because everything and everyone she ones is not around. I've had to leave work because of her behavior. But I really feel that right its the only option to get her focused and away from the friends she's made.

jenlesly

Asked by jenlesly at 7:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• So you're going to quit your job?
    there must be something going on that you're unaware of

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• Before pulling her out of school, I would look into the deeper issue of why she is doing these things.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• First, are you qualified to home school her? Second, I sort of agree with BB. You need to determine the root cause of her behavior issues. She's very young to be having the problems she's having and, let's be honest; she's too young to have the power to be making these kinds of "choices"

Is she well supervised with a strong schedule?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:04 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• Is something besides the move going on in your daughter's world? Think about what brought on the move. Home schooling is a good option for some, but if your daughter is acting out because of an underlying issue, she'll just find another way to act out till it gets resolved unless you plan to handcuff her to you till she turns eighteen.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:10 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• and after you've addressed the above issues and if you decide to home school check with your school about what programs they work with and dont forget to ask about the fees associated with the state mandated testing

our local schools charge an exorbitant amount (at least for our family budget).
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:14 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I have give this a lot of thought with her dad. The school that she is in has really done a dis-service to my daughter. When she was enrolled in the school she was place in regular classes. My daughter has an IEP where co-teaching is required in the classroom. Anyhow a week after she was given regular classes she was placed in advanced classes. I was a bit skeptical at first, I went to the school and asked them how did this come about: I was told by the guidance counselor that she was performing well in class and this was a better fit for her. Okay, I said but may daughter was she felt smart and capable of taking on the work a month later her classes were switched again due to an administrative error. My daughter was crushed and took it upon herself to talk to the counselor, they reassured her that if she continued to succeed it will be a matter of time before she gets there again.
    jenlesly

Comment by jenlesly (original poster) at 8:19 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• Basically my daughter's enthusiasm to learn was shot down. She started hanging w/the wrong crowd started to cut class. My daughter has never acted this way. I can't let here continue on this path. i am intimidated about taking on this responsibility but i just need to get her focused and on track. They have guidance counselors for Home education and virtual schooling. Which is what I plan on doing with her. I just want to do it for a semester, I work part time and my older daughter is home during the day while I' m at work.
    jenlesly

Comment by jenlesly (original poster) at 8:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I am currently looking into it more in depth but I feel like right now, it's something to consider.
    jenlesly

Comment by jenlesly (original poster) at 8:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• Pulling her out of school for this reason is not the right choise I think. She will feel like you are punishing her.

Answer by louise2 at 9:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• What a hard age your daughter is at. Middle school the kids need more parents time and attention. They don't know how to act or who they are (for the most part). Homeschooling is not easy. I tried it many years ago with my youngest son (hes now 22). I was not self disciplined and i was  too easy. If you have self discipline, do not procrastinate, it could be better than public schools. If you do try it, have your daughter enroll in an after school sport or some class so she will not lose her social skills. Good luck, momma!

dmr73059

Answer by dmr73059 at 4:53 AM on Feb. 24, 2013