If your kid was hospitalized(and you stayed there with them),would you help out the nursing staff?

Or would you just sit there and expect them to take your kid to the toilet,etc?
My son's nurses praised me for helping my son to his portable bedside toilet during his clean out for his endoscopy. I was embarrassed. He's my kid. I did what he needed done.
Those ladies up there had alot of kids in worse condition
The night nurse said that most parents will call the nurse for every little thing,and would ignore any alarm going off and continue sleeping.
We got our own stuff,like ice water.
I was just curious how many other mom's pitched in.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 9:32 PM on Feb. 22, 2013 in Just for Fun

• when my dd was a few months old when she was hospitalized bcz she almost died i never left her side dh HAD to work and my 2 yr old at the tim was with her gma for about 2 months :( i did EVERYTHING for her even with all her bandages and tubes!

mamide02ninas

Answer by mamide02ninas at 10:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• Yes but I would also steal the socks they give you.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• As a nursing student, I'm glad there are parents like you! =) Do the things you can, like that. Obviously there are things that should be left to the nurse, but if things like that can be safely done by you, by ALL means! I would do the same for my son in the hospital. Plus, I'm sure your son was more comfortable having YOU doing it for him than some stranger that changes every 8-12 hours!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:05 AM on Feb. 23, 2013

• absolutely. ive had 4 hospital stays since my kids were born, and took care of them the same way i would've at home. i was afraid to even leave their sides. and sleeping in those uncomfortable chairs while the machines beep constantly coupled with the hustle and bustle of hallway noise? puh-lease. i have a hard enough time sleeping at home in my own bed. forget about sleeping in a hospital, especially if im there because my kid is sick.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:39 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• Yes I did and I do when DH has been in the hospital. I can;t expect them to rub his feet an his hips. He has arthritis in his hips mostly agrivated if he has to stay in one position. There is no reason I can't get water ir even snacks. There is no reason to call a nurse to put a new movie into the DVD player or a host of othr things. The post op walk (after the first one) has always been done by me. I want those nurses free to deal with emergencies and to know if we call it is serious.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• When my son was stung by a scorpion, he spent two days in the hospital. He was hallucinating and couldn't control his arms or legs. He couldn't stand on his own or walk. I was always the one to help him go to the bathroom. He had to pee into one of those measuring bottles because they were pushing fluids and worried about his kidneys. They would bring him snacks or blankets, but I did everything else for him. He wanted his mommy anyway, and I was feeling so helpless that it was good for me to be able to help him whatever way I could.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I would do for me and my child as much as I could. If I couldn't shut off an alarm, or I wasn't sure I'd get a nurse. From my own experiences, I know that nurses are overworked and unappreciated (like teachers).
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• Stuff I could do like that, yes. I would be cautious of getting in their way or doing something wrong though.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 9:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I only call the nurses if there's something serious going on. Alarms, bleeding, change in breathing, etc. it's one thing to call if you're unsure of how to do something, but I try to help all that I can. Just because DD is in the hospital, doesn't mean she's not my responsibility.
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 22, 2013

• I didn't because they asked me not too. Especially bringing him to the bathroom as he was hooked up to an IV.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:06 PM on Feb. 22, 2013