Need some different opinions on what you all think about this issue..

Our local hospital recently had a lawsuit against them for discrimination. What happened was a NICU nurse who was black was told by someone that a father did not want any black nurse taking care of his son. This message was relayed back to her. To me, the hospital was doing what the parents wanted. I am NOT saying this was right, its not by any means, but do you think the lawsuit should have been brought against the man who said this and not the hospital?? BTW, the lawsuit was settled, but nobody said what the settlement was and the nurse is still working there.

What are your thoughts?? I think the man should have been named in that law suit also.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2013/02/flint_lawsuit_filed_by_hurley.html

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:30 AM on Feb. 23, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I think the father of the baby is a racist piece of shit, I really do. But I don't understand how the nurse can sue the hospital for following the instructions of the parents. The hospital is providing a service to the parents; the parents get to say what goes. The nurse didn't lose her job; the baby was reassigned to someone else. The suit doesn't make sense to me.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:50 AM on Feb. 23, 2013

• from what i read the nurse didnt lose any work time, she wasnt sent home, she was just moved to another set of infants. so whoever told her "ya know you got reassigned cause the daddy is a racist" is the one who embarrassed the nurse and thus caused the hospital to have to "settle" this stupid lawsuit. the nurse was WAY too sue-happy and looks like an abuser of our court system to me...gotta get that money anyway you can! even tho the Daddy was the asshole, the co-worker who blabbed was the one who embarrassed her, and the hospital was just trying to keep its patients happy (as ignorant as their request was). but she couldnt sue the daddy, so her employer it was!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:29 AM on Feb. 23, 2013

• I think the question here is if her supervisor directly told her she was being removed from caring for the baby due to race, or if some workplace gossip took it upon themselves to share it with her. The former is discrimination. The latter is someone putting their own need to be an asshat above tact and respect for their co-worker. Things like this very likely come up all the time, whether it's a Jewish patient who doesn't want a Muslim doctor or a Croatian patient who doesn't want a Serbian doctor. The issue isn't that it happens - it's ALWAYS going to happen. The issue is with how the employer handles it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:55 AM on Feb. 23, 2013

• I think the hospital did the best thing they could do in an awkward situation. The father was the only one in the wrong here. And as awful as it is, he does have the right to make such a request. I don't agree with his request, but I think he does have the right to make it. And I would expect any hospital to honor a request of mine, if my child were there, and it were in the power of the hospital to honor my request. And in my town, there are probably a few people whom I would refuse to have look after my child. (And I say this knowing them personally, not because of what they look like. Incompetent is incompetent, imo.)
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:45 AM on Feb. 23, 2013

• Oh, so the qualified nurse who has dark skin, should be shunned from her job because this asshole deems it inappropriate?
    That makes a LOT of sense to me.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:33 AM on Feb. 23, 2013

• When my ex husband was in the hospital with serious neurological issues, there was a doctor he couldn't stand. He requested that the doctor not be allowed to look at his case or set foot in his room. The hospital followed his wishes, and he was reassigned to a different doctor. It's not exactly the same because my ex based his request on issues with the doctor's perceived incompetence and his obviously terrible bedside manners. The asshole in Michigan based his request on racism, with no knowledge of the nurse's skill or experience. But still, the end result was the same. A reassignment of a staff member. We would have been furious with the hospital if our request hadn't been granted, as would the racist father have been.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:55 AM on Feb. 23, 2013

• I'm wondering what these groups who are going to protest wanted the hospital to do? If the nurse hadn't been reassigned, the parents would be suing.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:38 AM on Feb. 23, 2013

• Ah, here in Denver we call the similar hospital the Knife and Gun Club.

And Al Sharpton is a dumb ass and a troublemaker.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:47 AM on Feb. 23, 2013

• "The hospital is providing a service to the parents; the parents get to say what goes."

Um no. They don't. It's not a freaking hotel.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• The hospital should have said, Sorry, we do not accommodate racist requests.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 2:08 PM on Feb. 26, 2013