What else can we do?

It really upsets me to know hat my ds11 has had a fight in school and said hat the boy he fought with was constantly picking on him and finally had enough when the boy touched him my ds reacted and hit the boy.
They both got disciplined for it @ school. My ds says the boy lives with his grandmother.
So now he has a record in school for fighting...ugh! ( there were witnesses)

Fast forward 2 weeks, today he comes home telling my dh & I that the boy he fought with had a bigger boy to push my ds while in PE asking my ds if he was messing with his friend my ds said no and walked off but reported this incident as well...there witnesses again.

I'm not sure whats going on but I wish it would stop...even though we've told our ds not to be fighting but hey where do you draw the line we just told him to use your his best judgment.

Help we want to do the right thing. :(

Thx!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Feb. 23, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• Next time someone touches your boy and there are witnesses tell your son not to do anything but walk straight to the office and report it. File charges if nobody does anything.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:16 AM on Feb. 23, 2013

• Can you talk to any of the witnesses and see if they'll back you up while you press charges? It sounds as if the problem is escalating, since the first boy got someone bigger involved.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:30 AM on Feb. 23, 2013

• I have several grandsons. One has been picked on for a long time. He grew tall and we thought it would be over but we won't fight back because he knows he could hurt someone if he did. One guy kept grabbing or kicking his genitals thinking that was funny. He reported it over and over but the school never did anything. So finally he kicked the guy back and of course, there was a witness so HE got in trouble! Schools get scared to get involved even though it's the law that they intervene. I'm not sure what the answer is but I find it sad. My grandson refuses to go to school anymore. Truant officers got involved, the court has gotten involved due to the truancy and he still refuses to go knowing, like your son, there will be retaliation. We have to keep getting him doctor excuses so his mom doesn't go to jail but even if she pushes him to go, his blood pressure goes up and he throws up. Sad. I hope you work this out

Answer by admckenzie at 2:36 AM on Feb. 23, 2013

• You have to be a big pain in your school's backside until they step up & handle matters properly. If talking to the principal or the dean doesn't get the results you want, tell them you will be going above them to the board & the superintendent. You can tell them your next step after that is to involve the police & the local media. I'm guessing they will do what they need to do if you tell it to them like that. It's worked for me when my son's classroom had no heat in the middle of winter. The threat of media coverage had them fixing it the next day. (even tho they knew since Aug. the heat wasn't hooked up in that room! Ugh! ) GL to you & your son.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:46 AM on Feb. 23, 2013

• Have you went and talked to the school about this? Most schools have a no fighting, no bullying rules. Only thing your son can do without getting in trouble is to report it.

Answer by louise2 at 1:15 PM on Feb. 23, 2013