Anxiety/Xanax

I have been in a really bad episode of anxiety/panic and just took an increase in my Zoloft...I've been taking a very small dose of Xanax twice a day to help me until my antidepressant kicks in..I'm petrified of this... I do not drink or do drugs, never have..don't like the high feeling..just need this temporarily until I get through this..I'm well aware of addictionbut really feel if I take it properly and just for a little while I'll be ok..but I have the horror visions in my head about rehab,withdraw and ruining my life...anxiety provoked I'm sure..but pleaseif you have any reassurances for me please share!!!!! No negative or horror stories I've herd all those and am very fragile right now....also those of you with anxiety please tell me it will get better..I'm also seeing a psychologist.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Feb. 23, 2013 in Health

• I have been taking Xanax for some time. I have never had a bad experience with it. I take a low dose daily.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Feb. 23, 2013

• Where did you get the Xanax and how much is "a small dose"? Are you under a doctor's care with regard to using this medication?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:35 AM on Feb. 23, 2013

• i used to have panic attacks 10+ years ago
    was put on meds, they did not help
    i went off and learned to ride the panic wave until it was gone
    i said to myself when it was starting "oh, this a panic attack, it always ends and i always live through it
    somehow this gave me power over the panic attacks and they came less and less until i did not have anymore

i will still get one if i am driving in super heavy highway traffic, i try not to put myself in that spot, but can not always avoid
    so i go back to my "power over panic" thinking, and i always know they will pass
    breathing through them helps

i am not much help on the med part- as the meds did not help me, just made it hard to remember how to tie my shoes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Feb. 23, 2013

• Annon ..do you take it for anxiety?
    Mrs prissy- .25 mg one in morning one at night..primary care gives it to me but doesbt want me taking it all the time however psychologist says take it until other meds kick in...i have an appointment with a psych nurse on march 15th
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:39 AM on Feb. 23, 2013

• Thanks you 2nd annon
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:41 AM on Feb. 23, 2013

• I think as long as it's prescribed and you're keeping it at that dose then it's an okay stop gap measure. The problem with Xanax is that, eventually, you need higher doses to achieve the same anxiety reducing benefits you initially got at the lower doses. I don't think you need to worry about rehab but it DO think that eventually you'll need to figure out some way to get your anxiety under control that allows you to take the Xanax only "as needed", not every day.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:44 AM on Feb. 23, 2013

• Thank you mrs. prissy..i agree with you however..medication with a combo of therapy seems to.do the.trick.for me..its just right now my.anxiety is so highi need this to clear me up so I can focus on recovery
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:48 AM on Feb. 23, 2013

• i would follow a doctors orders as far as what your dosage amounts should be.. if you arent feeling better talk to your doctor again and they may recommend a higher dose or trying something else. Im sorry your feeling this way. I too have anxiety and panic attacks. Worst feeling ever. Just rememeber to try and stay calm.. take deep slow breathes.. and hold onto the thought that IT WILL PASS. When i feel a panic attack coming on i like to close myself off.. step into a different room or a bathroom, anywhere i can be alone for a moment. and i just focus my breathing. good luck! Hope you feel better soon and find a healthy way to cope
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 10:48 AM on Feb. 23, 2013

• It sounds like you are being extremely careful with the meds. You are also worrying yourself into a frenzy about taking them. Just take them as exactly as your doctor prescibed them and you should be fine. Almost everybody needs a little help now and then getting their emotions in check. Don't beat yourself up about it or give yourself new things to get anxious over. If you really don't like the idea of taking xanax which is one of the stronger antianxiety meds, inform your doctor of your concerns.There are other meds that can be tried if you are really uncomfortable.It is unlikely you will continue on xanax for the long term. It is prob just to help you through this crisis period until you begin to feel more stabilized. a lot of docs won't prescibe xanax unless it is absolutely necessary so your doctor must feel it is appropriate now. Make sure you are getting counselling as well to learn how to cope with your anxiety.
    LBoogie0617

Answer by LBoogie0617 at 2:10 PM on Feb. 23, 2013