Benedryl syrup for outdoor allergies?

according to the bottle it helps with itchy/watery eyes, runny nose, etc due to allergies. my 6 year old was given claritin last year for her seasonal allergy issue but i used up the rest (it wasnt expired yet i checked) a couple of days ago. the problem seems to come and go, only affecting her on certain days. today, the poor thing was only outside for 10 minutes and then had to come in because her eyes itched so bad. (we already have pollen on the trees, ugh!) her eyes are so red & watery & itchy. what do you give your child for seasonal allergies? can i just go and buy her something OTC or should i take her back to the doctor for a professional opinion? and is the benedryl effective for her symptoms?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 12:28 PM on Feb. 23, 2013 in Kids' Health

• I give my kids Claritin or Allegra... for my DS (6) it's most of the spring & fall. For my DD (8) as needed. The benadryl will help but it's only 4 hours and causes drowsiness. There really isn't much the doc can do except suggest these meds... they could add Flonase (sp?) to the mix. My DS takes that as well but it's b/c he has year round indoor allergies as well. 

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:34 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• thanks. im just very unfamiliar with allergies because i never had any growing up, so i wasnt sure if a doctor's opinion was needed or what lol !
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 12:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• I give my kids generic Zyrtec. They are a one a day pill and I get them at Costco for about $15 for 365 pills.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• You can always call if you'd feel better... or if the Claritin or Allegra don't do the trick. But, it's worth a try, and that's the advise I got from our doc and the pharmacist. Hope it helps ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:38 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• For my GS Zyrtec or Claritin just don't work well enough. He takes Benedrryl when the needs the break through help. It can make him sleepy and sometimes that is a big plus. It is hard to rest when you have a nasty drip down your throat. You can always call your Dr or ask the Pharmacist at the store.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:45 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• It might be worth a try. I always found that Benadryl made my stepson sleepy, though.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• DS usually takes OTC Claritan or Allegra now as needed. We did Zyrtec for a while but it never really helped.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:57 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• If you wanted to stick with the Claritin, it is available over the counter, Zyrtec, too!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 3:10 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• If Claritin worked last year, use it again this year. It's my preference. Zyrtec is good too but isn't the same - my oldest & DH actually have to use both (dr's orders).
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 5:31 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• Only use benedryl at night. It's puts us right to sleep within a half hour. Sudafed, Claritin, Zyrtec are all good for the day.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:47 PM on Feb. 23, 2013