amoxicillin dosage for a 3 year old ,36 lbs?

What dosage did your Dr give your child for amoxicillan (antibiotic in liquid form)? Its 400 mg. I am wondering if it will make her sick or not, I know I'm suppose to use it all for 10 days, but what did your doc give for a dosage? This is for a sinus infection. Thank you!
p.s. he said 1 tsp. q12hrs

two_girls

Asked by two_girls at 10:16 AM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I think they gave my son 1/2 tsp. call your pharmacist they should be ablet to help you. Does it say on the bottle?? and yes make sure he takes it for 10days to clear up his infectiion. good luck!
    SweetMama823

Answer by SweetMama823 at 10:40 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• My allergist did 1 tsp 2x a day. And suggested that we give our LO yogurt 2 hours after a dose (probitics, can be found in a lot of dairy foods), so he wouldn't get diarrhea ( because the meds strip the good bacteria in the intestine as well as the sinus infection). My LO did it for 20 days and he is 32lbs.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 11:01 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• It goes by weight and if the dosage was off, the pharmacist would have called the doctor. (he should have, anyway!) It sounds like about what our doctor gave my son the last time...and he was a bit smaller. If in doubt, check with the pharmacist and/or doctor.

As you start the antibiotics, give yogurt (if they'll eat it, mine won't) and start giving extra starches and carbs to help battle the possible diarrhea. Always give it WITH a meal, too. We gave it at breakfast and supper (not quite the 12 hours...but only a couple hours off)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:36 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• My 4 yr old just took amox. for bronchitis and it was 2 tsp of 400 mg twice a day for 10 days so I'm pretty sure what you're Dr described is perfectly fine.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 9:27 AM on Feb. 16, 2009